Computer Help forum

General discussion

What is the squeal?

My trusty XP home computer does it's far share of work and in it's 2 years has never missed a beat (unlike the previous ME computer I had), so I have lately been surprised by a mid-range annoying squeal coming from my computer. My once quiet computer now gives me a head-ache. I do all the usual maintainence to it (drive scan, Defrag,etc. - the antivirus runs automatically everyday but I have to manually set off the antispyware etc (I have AVG 8.0 paid version)which is no big deal.) The maintainence gets done regularly (other than the anti-virus) plus I'm always fully protected as I do things on the net. So I know it's alright there.

I'm just wondering what the squeal I hear is? I'm thinking it could be one of 2 things - the Hard Drive or the fan. I hope it's not the Hard Drive (WD 80 GIG - WD800BB), as the only times I've noticed it too be slow is when I have a fair bit saved on it (documents, pictures, etc). It happens after the computer has been on for a few hours or so & is louder sometimes than other times.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the squeal?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the squeal?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When Was The Last Time You Dusted It Out?

In reply to: What is the squeal?

You don't mention whether it's a desktop or laptopk, but either one needs to be blown out with compressed air, at least annually.. If a desktop, take the cover off, then use compressed air to blow out all the dust from the power supply, the processor and heatsink, all the fans, and all vents in the machine.. Occasionally, the fans can start making excessive noise simply because they become caked with dust and must work harder to keep the dusty processor clean.. While you're inside the case, check to make sure all your fans are running.

If it's a laptop, blow out all the vents and take all covers off the computer to blow out the junk as best you possibly can.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
The guy I bought it from said...

In reply to: When Was The Last Time You Dusted It Out?

The Guy I bought it from (owned the shop & did all the building & repairs there) said I wouldn't have too take the cover off that I'd only need to keep it clear of dust on the outside of it. It's a desktop - a tower one, no brand really as it was built in the shop (Yes the guy was qualified, the shop had been his in town for years & he was recommended by several friends)from scratch for me. I've had a few issues with things he's told me since it was built, not to mention a few battles while it was over drives - separate DVD & CD ones then installing a floppy drive (only cause I have some things still stored on them & 2 new unopened 50 packs of them from the previous computer, so I could use them if needed). This sounds like another thing he's originally told me is wrong then, as I specifically remember him saying 'No need to take the cover off, just Vac the vents & dust it off you'll be right). Only the DVD burner was included in the build package, I went out & bought a brand new CD burner to go in it, which he installed when I dropped it to him. The floppy was added to it too but I bought that off him. The whole thing was new when I got It (XP Home sev.pack 2 - Intel celeron 2.66GHz 224MB ram WD 80 GIG HD Gigabyte motherboard, extreme graphics 2 graphics, LG DVD (Multi)burner/ram, LG CD/CD+RW/CD-RW burner/rom, Phillips floppy drive).

Basically I wanted something I could burn cd/dvd on, play games, get on the net (which I have the equipment attached to it) and do everything else with too, so he built it to suit. But like I said he has given me wrong info.

Thanks, I'll have to get the compressed air & do it then. You do it anywhere there's dust right? Is there anything you don't use it on in there?

Collapse -
Inspect and verify

In reply to: The guy I bought it from said...

Unfortunately, cleaning is a required maint. of any system over time. It has to be done, excluding your friends comments. Open case, inspect and clean out the dust bunnies. Then follow your ear to the noise source. Once found, take action. If fan, replace with similar. If HD, do your backup, ASAP or at least important data, then replace. If any warranty, use it. Nothing lasts forever and since you mentioned it was brought from a friend, being used its getting older all the time.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Clearing up

In reply to: Inspect and verify

Just to clear up any confusion - Freinds recommended the guy I bought it from - He is not a friend. It was New when bought (the exeption being when the OS & various drivers were put on it.

I get what I have too do, I'll give it a try.
Thanks for help.

Collapse -
One word of caution...

In reply to: The guy I bought it from said...

in this compressed air cleanup I think it is wise not to point the air directly at fans which will spin them at a tremendous speed. This may be harmful.

What I do instead is clean each individual fan blade with a Q-tip or something of that nature... then stabilize the fan by holding it in place... then use the air for final cleanup.

This is not my original idea but one I picked up.

Glenn

Collapse -
I Hold The Fan Still With The Q-tip..

In reply to: One word of caution...

.....or a pencil, but still use the compressed air to clean them off.. Unfortunately, my big hands have difficulty getting in to each fan blade and this works for me.. But hey... whatever works..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
On or Off

In reply to: I Hold The Fan Still With The Q-tip..

Do you turn the computer Off or leave it on while cleaning the fans - It would be pretty hard to do it without turning it off, wouldn't it?
And if on wouldn't that do damage to how it works or something else?

Sorry, but from the last couple answers I'm a little confused as to Off or On - one read like it would be off, while the other could've gone either way. as I have not done this kind of thing before, I don't know which is right about it.

I get though that the computer would have to be on to try & track down the noise, but I will hit it with the compressed air.
The computer works well otherwise.

Collapse -
(NT) Off

In reply to: On or Off

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.