The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What is the primary use of your home computer?

by Marc Bennett CNET staff/forum admin / February 15, 2007 5:37 AM PST

What is the primary use of your home computer?

Gaming
Internet
Music
Office applications
Photos and graphics editing
Programming
Video
Other

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the primary use of your home computer?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the primary use of your home computer?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
all of the above (exept programming)
by wogboi / February 15, 2007 7:09 PM PST

I use my computer atleast 5hrs a day and i use it for all of the above exept programming. i mainly use it for video though.

sam

Collapse -
Better Poll
by -_Marc_- / February 15, 2007 11:58 PM PST

I would have liked to seen a more detailed poll to access the actual hours of time spent on the computer for each category for usage per week. Then display the Poll with the highest used hours to the least used hours.

Someones main use for their computer may not be what their most time in hours on their computer is actually used for.

My computer usages:

I use my computer for keeping in contact with family and friends through various messenger programs using video/sound/chat.

Webwork design.

Internet for purchasing items, mostly computer/electronic related.

Internet for reading all types of news (tech, health, religous, current and anything that perks my fancy for that day).

Google Earth <--- A must (where was this program when I was doing Geography class back in 1968) They should definetly make a Classroom version of Google Earth with pertinent data bookmarked as USA State Capitals, Continental Divide, Mason Dixon line and such. Later class versions for World Geography classes with important bookmarks on World locations studied in Geography and Environmental Sciences and other advanced Geography type classes taken in college.

As you can see there are a multitude of things to be done on the computer... Oh yea I even ordered PIZZA from the computer a few times Happy

Collapse -
Use Your PC For Programming
by *Beba* / February 16, 2007 8:46 AM PST

Why aren't you using you pc for programming?

Collapse -
all of the above
by vitasx / February 15, 2007 7:12 PM PST

probably it is TV or video i use digital TV which is broadcasted in lokal network
it is dificult to separate one because i do all of the above

Collapse -
Har Question to Pin Down A Single Answer
by tipper1 / February 15, 2007 10:14 PM PST

I chose music but I use my computer for internet, graphics & photo editing, and other things. Main use for the past year has been music though, as I have been converting over 700 vinyl country music albums to digital on my computer and burning to cd to save wear on the records. Many of the albums are from the 50's and 60's and you cannot get the music anymore so this is a way to help preserve it. I have recently set up a space on the Windows Live Spaces and posted 480 of the album covers in a photo album. Hope to get the rest of the album covers posted soon. For those interested. Link is { http://stolen-moments1936.spaces.live.com }. It has been quite an undertaking, using the scanner to get all the art into the computer, then into the graphics program to print the cd case covers etc. Have really enjoyed it though.

Collapse -
Managing Finances
by bobsoots / February 15, 2007 10:39 PM PST

My primary usage is financial management. E-mail is a close second. Neither of these were listed in the choices. My guess is that E-mail would have been ranked near the top if it had been included.

Collapse -
primary use of home computer
by Bengt Halldorf / February 16, 2007 3:11 AM PST

I am retired and I was before manager in DP center.
There is something to say before all: tell if it is a family home computer or a personal home computer.
We do have 4-5 computers at home (3 people now: I, Wife and son). None of them is a "family" computer and I do not think that family will use in a near future a "family" computer fo a numer of reasons: computer in a family room,personalisation of this computer for a family use and extreme complexity of integration of TV, Video, Image on this computer. I have no experience in Media Center but the idea of introducing a new system for a family use appears something like buidling a Babel tower: too complex..
So I use mainly my homecomputers (notebook) and bureau_PC:
1. Mail and chat, Office (Word excel)
2. Surf (travel, technical infos,leisures, buy a lot of small unusable things...and others useful)
3. Photoediting and printing
4. Radio from the world (news) and music (ITunes)

My Son-in-law (18 th years, student in politics at University): Notebook mac and bureau PC
1. Music
2. Videos,
3. Surf for studies in Politics
4. Mail and chats

My Wife
Office notebook at home 3 or 4 days a month:
1. Mail and OFFICE

I am not sure that we will need a family home computer. I think that the notebooks should send Videos or Photos to the Family TV (DVD recorder ) thru a home network. But this is not easy to operate though it is possible.
Later if it is possible to have a large DB where we (Personnal computers) can send thrugh a 1 GB network: photos, DVDS, record TV and easily look at them, this could be a possibility, but the system has to be simply packaged with a "one-button" operating way. Not so easy to implement. And I would certainly not do this implementation! I would buy it packaged.

Hope this gives some ideas.
JAK

Collapse -
GAMEING
by jakebf2killu / February 16, 2007 9:59 AM PST

the graphics are just so much better than consols and dont say anything about the next gen consols i already have a better graphics card and processor with more ram

Collapse -
Wrong Categories for this Poll
by grayja / February 16, 2007 11:42 AM PST

I think INTERNET as a category of computer use is misleading and out of place. In the context of computer use, we use the Internet to do all of the other categories to a greater or lesser extent. We don't use the Internet as an end in itself, but rather as a means to an end.
OK, nuff said.

Two or three times a day, I check my email and receive and send. I would say this is my most important use of the computer but email probably takes up no more that - Oh! - perhaps 5 to 10% of my time on the computer. I guess I average 5 - 6 hours a day at the computer. My biggest time usage on the computer is researching things I want to know about in relation to my other hobbies and interests (Sailing, Golf, Model Aircraft Radio Control, Stamp Collecting, Genealogy, overseas travel, cooking recipies, etc etc etc), helping my Grandchildren to find things/info they need for homework, researching PC Problem solving for myself and friends who use me as a friendly PC Guru!!!, etc etc etc.
Arthur

Collapse -
Lots
by Ed-duh-win / February 16, 2007 12:53 PM PST

Extensive internet browsing, lots of office applications, some photo and graphics editing, and some games.

Collapse -
Primary Use of Home PC
by koolme21 / February 17, 2007 3:56 AM PST

For Photos & graphics which i do s lot of

Video.

Games? No!

Office yes

Collapse -
Gamers Unite!
by tcardone05 / February 18, 2007 2:04 PM PST

more people game than work? sad...

Collapse -
Just the normal stuff.
by animalcrosser107 / February 18, 2007 4:16 PM PST

Mainly use my computer for: word processing, frontpage, internet (of course), picture/video, and e-mail.

Collapse -
What do I use my home system for
by Kieranjnicholas / February 18, 2007 7:58 PM PST

Well I have a laptop as I have just recently passed on my home PC to the parents, but I use my laptop mainly for working from home, logging in over the wireless internet through a VPN Connection&using remote desktop to run applications on various machine across my network. But I tend to chat alot online and watch streaming videos.

Collapse -
RE: What is the primary use of your home computer?
by rakdak1 / February 19, 2007 1:52 PM PST

I use it mostly for my hobby, which is graphic designing. But Im getting a laptop in the next year, because the comp I use now is soooooo slow, and hardly goes at all!!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.