Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

What is the next best mp3 player beside ipods

by jjfresh / September 1, 2008 4:57 PM PDT

that is easy to use and songs are downloading without too much trouble?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the next best mp3 player beside ipods
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the next best mp3 player beside ipods
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by JonTitor / September 2, 2008 9:52 AM PDT

not everyone thinks iPods are the best MP3 Players

Collapse -
Easy to use is the key.
by fbbbb / September 2, 2008 10:39 AM PDT

As a software/hardware integrated solution the iPod is a very tough act to beat. Many others get close, but most for example don't offer the level of playcount sync that the iPod does. And that's before we get to the third-party support. It's really not surprising it's hugely more popular than anything else.

But it's not really the player that's 'the best'. It's the ecosystem around it that's nigh-on invincible.

However, if you can put up with some loss of flexibility and ease of use to trade off for either a cooler (subjectively speaking), better sounding or just an offbeat machine, I'd say Sony and Creative should be your go-to's if you want a music player with a bit of movies thrown in. For a more PMP aspect, you should be looking at Archos.

There are other makers like Cowon who make very good hardware for both DAP and PMP uses, but many of these Korean makers do treat their users like beta testers and it's not uncommon to have a year-old player which is still missing some of the originally mentioned functions, or for some things just not to work.

I'd also suggest investing in the pay-for version of MediaMonkey or j.River Media Center. These will offer you uber-iTunes control over your music library as well as effortless syncing with either of the above machines (and more).

However all that said, you might as well wait for the iPod announcement next week to see if the new machines are worth getting over the competition.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?