Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

What is the Easiest Security Software to install and use?

by Newaygo1-22619364776977207349587995424770 / December 24, 2008 11:36 AM PST

Well I have use two of the name brand Internet Security Software Programs out there one was decent until this years version and then I switched to another brand and have a 3 user version and I loaded one on Desktop which went okay but then on my laptop I have been trying to for about last 12 hours and all kinds of issues and now I get it activated but now can not update it so it is useless and since you have to uninstall any others I am now vunerable if I use my laptop computer to get on the internet.

So much reading the reviews online for them but I guess if you are computer knowledgeable you know the ins & outs of them but if a novice like me you learn by running into constant issues when trying to get their product working. The desktop took about 4 hours but laptop is not working and then you learn that they don't have any support now until Dec 29th so it leaves me with no access because I can't use my laptop and I am away from home.

So what do you suggest that is easy to install and does not take an IT or Computer Science Degree to get it working and which has the simplest set up because the one on my desktop has all kinds of settings that require you to know just what each setting does and again being not up on all things computer I am having extra things I have to do to get my emails???

Anyone that you would stay away from. Just looking for one a novice can get to work and is easy to use???

Thanks and Happy Holidays,
Newaygo1

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the Easiest Security Software to install and use?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the Easiest Security Software to install and use?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
McAfee Total Protection 3-PC Protection
by fanofbastiat / December 24, 2008 11:42 AM PST

I'm very pleased with this software and its simplicity. It maintains an ubiquitous presence and defends my small home network quite well. You are permitted three downloads on three separate machines. Each additional machine costs approximately 10 USD. Moreover, if you have a prior subscription to McAfee and need to upgrade or have a subscription to Norton there is a sizable rebate available. Conduct web search to find it easily.

Cheers

Collapse -
Thanks

Thanks but that is another one I have heard from friends and family to stay away from I guess it must be a users thing. Also my brother got a spyware last week and it appeared to be from MicroSoft Defender but it was an ad advertisment suggesting he had an issue with a trojan / worm on his computer and each time he would remove it it would just reappear within minutes. He did a search and others had the same thing and it was an adeverisement from McAfee promting they could fix it and it all lead back to them so I think that is not a professional way to try and sell one's product. Glad you are happy with it though again a personal choice. From the reviews it is about middle of the pack of security software...

Thanks for your input...

Newaygo1

Collapse -
Another suggestion..
by fanofbastiat / December 24, 2008 12:04 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Sir,

I'm unfamiliar with this particular brand, but I have seen it become quite prominent in advertisements lately. The programme manufactured is named "Kaspersky" and has high marks. I'm assuming the two anti-virus software programmes you have used in the past to be McAfee and Norton? I couldn't justify giving anymore of my money to Microsoft by purchasing Defender although McAfee and Norton almost constitute a monopoly. Please reply if you choose Kaspersky, I'm interested in hearing reviews on it.

Cheers

Collapse -
No one is Kaspersky
by Newaygo1-22619364776977207349587995424770 / December 24, 2008 12:38 PM PST
In reply to: Another suggestion..

It is the last one I am having issues with currently. After 12 hours and it won't allow me to log on unless I disable it so that is not what I call good sign about their product...

So three of them so far the other being Norton. So I guess I am running out of choices... But again thanks for posting

Newaygo1

Collapse -
Hi Newaygo1....Here are a few suggestions.
by Larry38 / December 25, 2008 1:20 AM PST

The programs that I would suggest, that you don't need to do much if any setting up. Also I use them myself because they are excellent programs.

Online Armor Firewall (Free or Paid)
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Free or Paid) Free does not run in realtime.
SUPERAntiSpyware (Free or paid)Free does not run in realtime.
Avast Anti-Virus (Free is very good)
SpywareBlaster (Free)

Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware you get a Lifetime License and only Pay once for each. You could pay for one so as to have realtime protection, and use the other as on demand scan. I have both paid versions.

Online Armor is a two year license. I use the paid version, but the free version is fine also.

Avast and SpywareBlaster the free versions are fine.

You can Google them, and read about them.

Collapse -
Thanks it seems to be so many out there...

Seems that there are so many and you only see or hear about the commercial ones with big names. Seems that the more I search the more I see that depending on who is offering a review they have seems to have their pick and not being good with computers it seems that those doing a review are and seems not to have an issue while novices like me always do... I read one and it is good then read another review and it is middle of the road...for the same product...

Thanks I will look into those you suggested... Apprecaite your time pointing me in that direction... Never heard of most of these but worth looking...

Thanks,
Newaygo1

Collapse -
You are very welcome... Just keep in mind...
by Larry38 / December 25, 2008 2:37 AM PST

Everyone on these forums was a Novice at one time.

Also keep in mind, that the "Big Names" so to speak, are not always the best programs.

Free programs are very few and far between anymore especially ones that run in realtime and autoupdate. I try to keep up with the latest programs, and have changed to new ones many times.

When you Google the ones I gave you be sure to spell them correctly, so as not to get a rogue site. Many rogues will spell their site almost exactly the same with one little exception.

Good Luck
Happy Holidays
Larry

Collapse -
Second that list by Larry38...
by glenn30 / December 25, 2008 4:56 AM PST

I use all of them except the firewall Online Armor but soon intend try it by replacing Vista Firewall.

You cannot go wrong with any of these and they are all FREE... what more could you ask for? In many year of experience, I have never had a virus or malware. {fingers crossed}

Good luck! Just wanted to assure you these are all good respected programs. After installing check for updates to the software.

Happy Holidays!

Glenn

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?