Question

What is the difference between a USB 2 and USB 3 storage dev

USB 2s appear to meet my needs, is there any reason that I should to use USB 3 devices or replace my USB 2 devices with USB 3s?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: What is the difference between a USB 2 and USB 3 storage dev
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What is the difference between a USB 2 and USB 3 storage dev
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I would not bother.

But my view is tainted by folks bringing me their issues with USB 3.0. From Dells with that botched driver issue to USB 3.0 drives that fail on Smart TVs or other than a PC devices.

Given the experiences I have had on USB 3.0 it feels "botched." Why would anyone want to fix their machine today? That is, I'm sure someone will reply with "I updated my drivers" or more but it's such a minefield that while I tried it, I quickly went back to USB 2.0 drives.

Back to the drawing board.
Bob

- Collapse -
It worked fine on my sons new laptop.

But he still has the original USB2-USB3 cable to use if it stops working.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
USB 3 is faster.

So a copy or backup that takes half an hour with USB2 takes 10 minutes with USB3.
So you balance the time you have and the money want to spend and decide.

Of course, your PC/laptop needs to have USB3 also.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
Compatability and speed

USB3.0 is supposed to be faster and is often enough is. It provides a backward compatibility to USB2.0 devices, so you can connect to a USB3.0 port. provided everything does what it suppose to do, USB3.0 is the way to go or accept it if already part of your PC. The other posters pointed out the pitfalls that USB3.0 is NOT entirely free of problems. As time goes by it will settle but for now that's not the case, it's still go at your risk sorta thing. If you feel you don't want to deal with USB3.0 issues, USB2.0 still remains a valid and stable USB item. Depending on your current PC upgrade path, USB3.0 can be added later and hopefully pick one that's well suited and free of problems. USB3.0 devices can use a USB2.0 port but you lose any USB3.0 feature other than connection.

tada ------Willy Happy

CNET Forums