TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

What is the deal with Cables???

by markmess / January 19, 2006 7:51 AM PST

Can anyone answer what is the real deal with cables? Does the more you spend get you anything? I just bought some HDMI cables for my PLasma TV that were Acoustic Research Performance Series (12ft for about $30).

But I see other cables running up to 4 times that much for 12ft? Some guy at Best Buy told me that AudioQuest was the best brand you are losing a lot from using the cheaper brands. Not sure what to think.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the deal with Cables???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the deal with Cables???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Discussed a lot.
by jcrobso / January 20, 2006 12:22 AM PST

First read the "Empors New Cloths" then you will start to understand.
Read the link. Yes The AR cabels are good choice.

"Some guy at Best Buy told me that AudioQuest was the best brand you are losing a lot from using the cheaper brands." Realy! he didn't push Mon$ter cables???

With no offence to the fourm members who work for BB, CC, Sears,etc. The sad part is the most sales people in big box stores done know thier elbows from a hole in the ground, I worked at FRY's it was no different. The fourm members who work at the Big box stores sadly are the excption, they are in the miniorty.
A lot of thoes fancy high priced cables have massive markups. At Fry's we were told that there are 49 points on MC products. On a $100 cable the store made $49 profit. John

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7596-0.html?forumID=60&threadID=151129&messageID=1683208

Collapse -
In High End Audio, Cables Are The Big Money Makers....
by Psych Doc / January 20, 2006 2:52 AM PST
In reply to: Discussed a lot.

...There's precious little difference in anything that has enough conductive material to move the signal along. For speakers, 16c/ft. lamp cord, available from any hardware store will equal the performance of Nodost Valhalla at about $300/ft.

So too in the world of video.

Stay away from real garbage (the stuff they throw in the boxes of VCR's and DVD players) and you'll be fine. Forget the Audioquest/Moster stuff. Total waste of money.

And then there's the thought that even though everyone touts HDMI as the holy grail, you actually get better performance from a decent set of component cables.

Collapse -
so true
by masterying01 / January 20, 2006 8:10 AM PST
In reply to: Discussed a lot.

there is only one reason why i would offer high end monster cables customers. if they come in saying "i want the best, i dont care about the money..give me the best", obviously (commissioned or not) i want the store to do good, so revenue/margin will come to my mind immediately.

acoustic research cables are definitely enough for most people especially when a majority of the poeple are only running the cable 8feet or shorter. i actually tell most of my customers to invest the money in a better power surge. the powersurge wont give you a night and day difference...but its just a few hundred more to protect your thousands of dollars of equipment. imagine the electricity as water and your a/v equipment as coolaid mix. if you use toilet or dirty water, obviously the coolaid wont taste as good.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?