General discussion

What is the best way to share files over the internet?

Hallo. I work in a small office and we have a server with MS Windows 2003 Enterprise installed, that is used for shared folders. They contain info about our clients, about work that's being done and so on. When someone have to work from home he/she uses mstsc to connect to his/her work PC and use it as he/she's here. My boss need to have remote access to those folders, but he doesn't have a work PC. He brings his notebook in work and takes it with him after that. I told him that we can just buy a PC that he could use to log on on it, but he wants another solution. How can this be done? How can he open and modify files over the internet, without logging on to a local PC?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: What is the best way to share files over the internet?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What is the best way to share files over the internet?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Have you considered

creating a VPN?

- Collapse -
Quick and simple

FTP. Easy enough to secure, highly compatible with whatever kind of system the person might have... They can download and then upload files with ease.

It's also cheap, since there are numerous free FTP servers out there, and dozens of FTP clients. Easy to find help, since FTP has been around almost as long as the Internet, and is well understood by many. It's simple, so if something goes wrong, it shouldn't be difficult to fix, and it's easy to find help as I already said. It's also fairly low on the amount of network overhead, which saves the company bandwidth and your boss downloading time.

It does require that your boss have the programs necessary to edit the files installed on his PC, but that should be an issue unless it's highly specific software with costly per seat licensing.

VPNs and what not have their place, but I like to go with simple solutions whenever possible. Why build something with 10,000 parts when 500 will do? It's always good to remember the old standbys like FTP. Those that are still around are likely still around for a very good reason. From what you've said, FTP would be a quick, cheap, and workable solution. It also gets bonus points for being easily automated if your boss isn't very technically minded about such things. Imagine trying to walk them through debugging a VPN connection over the phone, and tell me there isn't an appeal to keeping things simple.

CNET Forums

Forum Info