General discussion

What is the best way to send an Internet attachment?

How does everyone send files over the internet and how many ways are there to send attachments?
I have AOL as a provider and am able to send jpeg files as either embedded in text or as a download file. As embedded text the photo file will appear as a photo when the recipient receives the email, just about everyone, no matter whom your provider is, will view the attachment as a photo immediately without downloading.
And will be able to simply copy the image to their desktop by simply dragging the file. Another way is to click with the mouse and hold on the file and copy the file in any number of ways, or to copy the file and paste into photoshop. All work pretty well except when I send the file as a download. AOL will compress the file as a zip-it file or by some other strange means. When I send a download to a PC person, the file cannot be read or downloaded by many. Happens a lot!

At work I have Microsoft Outlook for our email. I can drop and drag a file or as a download file with the email. Most of the time the file is sent out a MIME file unless you click on preferences and ?Choice of sending files.? Outlook has 4 choices:
? Don?t Know
? MIME
? UUEncode
? BINHEX
The only way I can send out a JPEG download, or drop and drag file into M$ Outlook is as a universal download (UUEncode). Click on the box ? UUEncode, otherwise the file will be sent out as a MIME file and will really be hard to extract the file at the recipients end unless that person has M$ Outlook. Or a software program similar to Winzip81 or TNEF1.0b2CARB (Contact: All comments, questions and bug reports should be sent to:
josh.jacob@joshjacob.com, Future versions of the software can be obtained at his web site:
http://www.joshjacob.com, This is shareware.

One GREAT download that I received last week while searching AOL were a few choices on MIME files directed by AOL. I clicked on one and received a photo of an actor with a white face makeup on and as a Mime actor. I sent a note to AOL through keyword: Suggestions?and asked if their system was hacked?

If you are sending to other Outlook members through Exchange, there will not be a problem sending all kinds of files. M$ Works, JPEGS, TIFFS, EPS or any other file you can imagine but will not be able to send an embedded photo to show up as an instant photo to view.
Difficult to explain. I am not a technical writer and I hate manuals.

It seems if you have M$E and a service provider like YAHOO, you will never be able to send embedded text files, and may have other problems with different files sent as well.

I have Aladdin Stuffit Deluxe V8 on my Mac. I should really read their manual in order to stuff certain files for the PC group. There is a choice of DropZip, DropStuff, DropTar, DropConvert, DropSegment and of course Stuffit Expander that I use always.

What happens with Eudora or other mail systems? Any problems sending the email of your choice??

There are many of you out there that may better answer the question I have posted.
Only a start?

Kevin

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: What is the best way to send an Internet attachment?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What is the best way to send an Internet attachment?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums

Forum Info