General discussion

What is the best tv to buy?

First,is there a difference between a plazma tv and a flat pannel tv?
Also,what is the best brand/specifications...etc.? What is HDMI? HD "ready"...etc.? I know HD is "high definition",but what does HD "ready" mean,that the tv does not already have high definition?
Thank you for your time in advance!
Mark

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: What is the best tv to buy?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What is the best tv to buy?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Quick hits...

This is a topic best suited for our Home Audio and Video forum, but I'll do a quick rundown of the answers you seek:
1.) Flat panel simply refers to the form factor...flat/skinny. You then likely specify either Plasma or LCD, which are types of displays. In short, plasmas suffer from burn-in (if a logo or news tickers is on long enough it will become permanently 'burned' on the screen, even after you change channels) while LCDs are still not quite as advanced as plasmas when concerned with display quality in large (44"+) models.

2.) Brand/specifications I'll leave up to the videophiles to go over since it's a delicate balance of price and quality.

3.) HDMI is the optimal digital connection for TVs, offering better quality than composite, component, and S-Video connections. It's much like saying you'd rather have a DVI connection from your computer to monitor than a VGA one.

4.) HD Ready is the terminology used to specify the TV is capable of displaying HD-quality programming but does not include an HDTV tuner. The omission of that reduces the cost of the TV, but means you have to purchase one later if the cable/satellite box from your provider does not include an HDTV tuner.

Hope this helps,
John

- Collapse -
Thanks John!

Thanks a lot once again,John,for your tips and knowledge.
I appreciate it.
Sincerely
Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info