TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

What is the best TV in terms of picture quality?

by ChemicalBond007 / December 19, 2013 11:00 PM PST

Hello CNET community!

I am planning to set up a movie (cinema) room at my home. <div>
I recently bought the LG BP, but I haven't got a TV. I am unable to decide between the following products:

Panasonic TC-PZT60 (Plasma)
Samsung F8000 (LED)
Panasonic Viera ZT60 (Plasma)
Samsung PN64F5500 (Plasma)
Panasonic TX-P42GT60B (Plasma)
Panasonic TX-L47DT65B (LED)
Samsung LN46E550F6F (LCD)
Vizio XVT553SV (LCD)
LG Infinia 47LX9500 (LED)

What would be your best pick? Reply to this thread with your most recommended pick (at least one each) for LED, LCD and Plasma.

Note: Please give me your comments only if you have a good idea of the displays of these TVs.

When you type your opinion, please keep in mind that price and design (not the visuals) don't matter much to me.
</div>

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the best TV in terms of picture quality?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the best TV in terms of picture quality?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Subjective question
by wpgwpg / December 19, 2013 11:52 PM PST

I think like buying a desktop computer monitor, you've got to buy what pleases your own eyes. I wouldn't buy anything I haven't seen in a store. That said, I don't find plasma TVs very pleasing to my eyes, YMMV. I have LG, Sony, and Samsung TVs and like the picture on all them. I also have Visio and Westinghouse TVs but the picture on them doesn't seem quite as good. LED TVs are almost always good, and many LCD ones are good as LEDs. The oldest of my TVs is a 3 year old 47" LG LED, and I love it. I haven't had the first problem with it. None of my TVs are the so called Smart versions, and I intend to keep it that way. If I need Internet on my TV, I can run an HDMI cable from my laptop or get a Blu-ray player with WiFi.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Since it's not for games or PC display.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2013 2:47 AM PST

The plasma units should win this round. You'll also want to see 120Hz panel rates (in the USA and other countries) since many movie buffs want to play 24p content. In short you need a panel rate that hosts 60 and 24 rates and the first hit is 120.

That knocks it down to 4 units to check out. Since we are not in the Samsung forum I'd research "plasma cracks" and see if you can get the warranty to include that. My thought is something is going on there but I can't figure out how many are user induced damage and how many are for real defects. We know the panels are far more fragile than old CRT tube units.
Bob

Collapse -
Subjective, yes. But to answer your question...
by Pepe7 / December 20, 2013 9:13 AM PST

...the ZT60 spanks the living daylights out of everything on the market now.

Truth be told, most folks I see comment on Panasonic plasma have not worked with enough HDTVs to know better, let alone have never seen a ZT60 in person. If you are setting up a (proper) home cinema (i.e. very dark, movie theater like viewing space), you would be choosing plasma and not LED.

If I were limited to LED, the 8000 would be my pick from your above list.

Collapse -
Pioneer LCD's
by hifimonster / December 22, 2013 2:21 AM PST

I recently heard that Pioneer have re-launched their LCD TV's which were highly regarded for picture quality, might be worth adding these to your short list Cool

Collapse -
But Pioneer was known for plasma
by Pepe7 / December 23, 2013 2:55 AM PST
In reply to: Pioneer LCD's

Not sure what exactly you heard, but if you could post a reference, that might be interesting(?) <crickets>

Collapse -
cinema room
by fastrover / December 22, 2013 3:08 AM PST

If your just dedicating it as a cine room and price is not a consideration have you considered a projector.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.