Camcorders forum

General discussion

What is the best software to capture video from a mini DV

by schwabbey / April 7, 2006 2:14 PM PDT

I was wondering what is the best software to capture video from a canon NTSC ZR40 mini DV camcorder and putting on my Antec computer

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the best software to capture video from a mini DV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the best software to capture video from a mini DV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Best? How much do you want to spend?
by Kiddpeat / April 7, 2006 2:39 PM PDT
Collapse -
My list.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 1:23 AM PDT

Price not an option since "best" is the goal. Assuming FIREWIRE connection.

1. Final Cut Pro HD.
2. Adobe Premeire.
3. Sony Vegas.
4. WinDV.
5. DVRACK.

Bob

Collapse -
berween free and 30-40 dollars
by schwabbey / April 8, 2006 4:50 AM PDT

By the Best i mean quality And the price free and under 30-40 dollars. i have a fire wire connection

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Did you try WINDV?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 5:05 AM PDT
Collapse -
Best and free is an oxymoron. That will not change.
by Kiddpeat / April 8, 2006 10:21 AM PDT

$30-$40 might as well be free.

You mean what is the best free software. I don't have a clue. I think you get what you pay for.

Collapse -
I just want home videos
by schwabbey / April 8, 2006 12:19 PM PDT

i just need to get home videos of the camera and i DONT need any editing

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Microsoft Movie Maker?
by Kiddpeat / April 8, 2006 1:15 PM PDT
Collapse -
it's better to buy DVD camcord. if you do not need editing
by Woodeen / April 8, 2006 6:43 PM PDT
Collapse -
What I don't understand is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 10:01 PM PDT

Since WINDV is free and easy to find, why didn't you give that a go?

Bob

Collapse -
I tried Dv rack
by schwabbey / April 9, 2006 2:26 AM PDT

i tried a free trial version of DVRack but it wouldnt open.
and i have windows movie maker but the qaulity is bad maybe it is just my computer or something

Collapse -
WINDV.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2006 2:54 AM PDT
In reply to: I tried Dv rack

Free, no trial, no install, something I use all the time.

If it fails, then something is sorely wrong with your PC, cable or other.

Bob

Collapse -
i just tried WinDV
by schwabbey / April 9, 2006 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: WINDV.

and it didnt work very good so i guess something else is wrong with my PC or cable

Collapse -
After all this, I didn't read what the PC is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2006 3:29 AM PDT
In reply to: i just tried WinDV

I've captured with my lowly Pentium 3 600MHz laptop with WinDV so it doesn't take much of a computer. But then again not much was told about the host PC.

Try another PC?

Bob

Collapse -
Capturing Mini-DV
by forkboy1965 / July 5, 2006 12:25 PM PDT

In my opinion, and regardless of whether or not you intend to edit any video, I have found Microsoft Movie Maker to be very simple and easy to use for capturing video off my camera. Heck, it even does a decent job of basic editing, adding titles and/or credits, etc. And it came free with Windows XP so it's a win/win in my book.

Regarding the other gentleman's comments about going DVD recording instead, there are still some issues with compression and such that I find in current reviews of many of those particular camcorders. My friends who have them really like them, but if you're looking for a higher quality picture and longer recording times (as well as a cheaper medium), I still think the Mini-DV format rules.

Collapse -
need help
by jimmpr10 / July 5, 2006 2:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Capturing Mini-DV

I tried to convert miniDV to DVD format with Nero6. There are problems of lost frames.
I have downloaded Windows Movie Maker 2.0, but there no option of making DVD. How can I do it?
Is WinDV better? Haven't tried yet.
Thanks.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.