Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

What is the Best Small buisness Wireless Access Point?

by BSharpe37 / April 26, 2010 4:34 AM PDT

What is the Best Small buisness Wireless Access Point?
Will have around 20 wireless devices connected to it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the Best Small buisness Wireless Access Point?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the Best Small buisness Wireless Access Point?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Lesson learned.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2010 11:00 PM PDT

The best changes to often. And 20 devices to one would be quite bad. WIFI air space is only half duplex and shared (which you would know.)

So my best solution would be to get wired what I can and then depending on the situation (small office, corp office) make choices accordingly as to the brand and support.

The small office can use what you get at office stores. Corp types get the big gear (and bills) from the names.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes but didn't answer the question
by BSharpe37 / April 27, 2010 1:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Lesson learned.

The alternating connection is something I know about, but I was looking into maybe some options. I wasn't really looking for one single device, maybe I should have clarified. Sorry about that.

I would like to hear what people have used on their networks and are happy with.(make & model) I've read a lot into the Linksys by Cisco and even have some of their products, problem is, they tend to not be too reliable. I see a lot of comments on them breaking, of course I have to consider that people like to tell their horror stories and less happy-go-lucky stories are a rare commodity.

In general, what do you guys use on your networks for wireless? And how well do you like it. What issues do you normally have and how simple are they to get resolved.

Please don't post your horror stories here, I'm looking for good hardworking devices not flimsy $40 Linksys Access points that you get to restart every few days. (I'm not ruling out Linksys so if you have a good one let me know)

Collapse -
What I'm using today.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2010 1:32 AM PDT

Netgear WRN2000 with no issues. Then again it is setup per the Cnet networking forum. We use a linksys WPGS606 as a client to other none-wifi machines.

The wifi routers are set to 802.11g only mode to help connections to wifi printers.

Hope that helps.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?