TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

What is the best receiver to buy Harman kardon or Yamaha?

by Doumm / February 5, 2006 8:35 AM PST

I wondering what is the best receiver to buy Harman Kardon or Yamaha?

I have a Yamaha HTR 5840 - AV receiver - 6.1 channel and I want to change it for something better at leas a receiver with 7.1 chanel speakers.

I was thinking to buy a Harman Kandon receiver because I alredy have a DVD Harman Kardon; but with the Yamaha's technology YPAO and THX select and THX Ultra II I'm getting confuse.

I don't really have any budget I just want something that will sond verry good and I really like Harman Kardon.

I also have:
-One DVD player Harman Kardon(DVD22).
-Four Bose 301 (Series V Direct/Reflecting Speaker System)
-One Bose VCS-10 Center Channel Speaker.
-One subwoofer Velodyne (DPS Series DPS-12).
-One Monster Cable Home Theatre Reference Power Center surge suppressor (HTS 3600 MKII).
-Everything is pluged wiht Monster Ultra? Series THX

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the best receiver to buy Harman kardon or Yamaha?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the best receiver to buy Harman kardon or Yamaha?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DONT THINK BUYING ANOTHER WILL HELP{
by stewart norrie / February 5, 2006 9:52 AM PST

Sounds like you have a nice system now. I think your problem may be your Bose speakers. May I sujest going to a hi-end home theater and checking better speakers Klipsch, Atlantic Technology etc I dont think replacing your amp will make any difference.Also not many people like Bose speakers I listened to there 5,1 cube system, It sounded ok at low volume but sounded horrible at hi-volume THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN YOUR SYSTEM IS SPEAKERS GOOD LUCK STEWART

Collapse -
I Agree
by RoadRunner6 / February 5, 2006 12:54 PM PST

Stewart is right on. Sorry to say anything negatvie about your present equipment, but:

7.1 over 6.1 will make very little difference. The Yamaha receivewr you have is fine. Forget the YPAO, it only automates something you can do yourself with a Radio Shack analog sound level meter ($40) and a little more effort and not worth upgrading for. The THX is only a certification of high performance standards. Your Yamaha is just fine.

In my opinion you have got into the dealer's profit making plans by buying all the Monster unecessarily expensive and way overpriced power center/conditioning/surge and speaker wire/audio/video connectors. None of these are necessary. You can get plenty good surge protectors for $50 or less. Heavy gauge lamp/zip cord like you buy for a lamp (solid...not the translucent kind) in 12, 14, 16 or 18 gauge, depending on the lenth is just fine. Good quality A/V cables are available for under $50 at the most. The improved audio and video performance is BS and has been disproved many times in double blind tests. I mention this here only to save you some big bucks in the future. Super shielded cables are only necessary if you have a specific problem which rarely occures.

Put your money where it counts and that is in the speakers. Your sub is fairly good. In the future if you want to upgrade your sub look into Outlaw Audio, SVS or HSU (on the Web) which all sell direct to the consumer. Look them up on the web for complete info plus lots of professional reviews.

The only big problem in you system (sorry to say) are the BOSE speakers. For the same money you paid you can get far, far superior sound. That's where I would start to improve the sound of your system.

I recommend looking at the new SVS SBS-01, here:
http://www.svsound.com/index.cfm

This is a brand new system, see a review here:
http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/loudspeakers/SVSSB01p1.php

Or you can add 4 or 5 new speakers plus center to go with your Velodyne. Be sure all four or 5 are voice matched to the center speaker. That means they must be from the same brand and have the same tweeter and mid.

I recommend you look at brands like Energy, Paradigm, Definitive Technology, Klipsch, Infinity, Athena, Atlantic Technology, Monitor Audio, Mirage to name a few. You should be able to find 5 or 6 speakers for 5.1 or 6.1 (not including sub)for $750-$1250 or more that will sound outstanding. Sart by checking out the line from Energy Speakers, look here:
http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/products/product-lines.php

(see the Act 6 or Take series) and look here:
http://www.audioexcellence.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=504

I know this is not what you asked but hope it might help. Good luck on upgrading your sound.

RR6

Collapse -
ROADRUNNER THANKS MORE INFORMATION
by stewart norrie / February 6, 2006 12:29 PM PST
In reply to: I Agree

i found the hard way that not only good speakers are a must but they also have to be matched, I had Klipsch Bose and Cerwin Vega all mixed and even thou they were excellent speakers there was NO souround effect not involving at all, Until I replaced them with a Complete 5.1 Atlantic Technology matched system I did keep the 2 Cerwin Vegas on the back wall and I really feel iam in the movie In closing I just sold my old Sony and Friday there going to deliver a new Toshiba 72HM195 I pray that this monster looks good Its so hard to demo a new t.v. it was hooked up with componit vidio cables and the color and britness were extreme also will I get a better picture using my h.d.m.i. cables vs componmit cables good day stewart

Collapse -
Congrats Stewart
by RoadRunner6 / February 6, 2006 2:31 PM PST

Hope you really enjoy that new Toshiba. Sounds like you made a great choice and got the best bang for the buck in the DLP type of TV. 72".....WOW!!! It's gonna feel like you're in an IMAX theater. Should be a fantastic out of body experience with those Atlantic Techs.

I don't think you're going to miss that old Sony for one nanosecond (RIP). Give us some feedback as soon as you get it set up. Take care.

RR6 (Chuck)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?