Windows Vista forum

General discussion

What is the best device for ReadyBoost?

I am trying to compensate for the cap 32bit vista places on ram.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the best device for ReadyBoost?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the best device for ReadyBoost?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So you already did the /3GB item?

In reply to: What is the best device for ReadyBoost?

Collapse -
No i didnt want to hamper the kernel memory

In reply to: So you already did the /3GB item?

thats why I didnt do It. I have been looking into the boot options to increase the amount of memory but i dont know if that would be any different it is kind of hard for me to understand.

Collapse -
Why would that hamper kernel memory?

In reply to: No i didnt want to hamper the kernel memory

We are well beyond the memory sizes where that would be an issue. Sadly I think they don't explain it well enough so people run off and try something else.

Collapse -
how much kernal memory should i replace?

In reply to: So you already did the /3GB item?

Collapse -
Good question.

In reply to: how much kernal memory should i replace?

Back at you. Why do this at all since in the past 100 machines I've been asked to help with this only ONE and only ONE owner had an application that was compiled to use more than 2.0GB.

Are you sure your applications will use this?

Collapse -
i just found out about that myself...

In reply to: Good question.

i just ran across that limitation myself aminute ago in an online guide... damn it seems like there is no way to get more speed for videogames or most otherthings... im assuming this limitation exists with any advantage 64bit windows brings as well? are there any 64 bit advantages that exist to a fair amount of average programs (i dont see how there could be but i thought id ask.) or any other system increase that could boost preformance, i have a 5.7 experience rating for my disk data transfer rate, everything else is at 5.9.

Collapse -
Can we ask...

In reply to: i just found out about that myself...

Collapse -
will a new graphics card be better than using 2 hard drives?

In reply to: Can we ask...

speed wise? it is quite expensive but i thought making a raid 0 might provide more overall improvement.

Collapse -
With what goal?

For gaming, upgrading your graphics card will usually offer the best improvement. However, a new graphics card won't boost performance for file transfers or other hard drive-intensive tasks.

John

Collapse -
Any high-speed flash drive...

The average flash drive may or may not meet the speed requirements of ReadyBoost (50/50 chance), so although I object to the wording on the packaging, any marked 'includes ReadyBoost' or similar would be ideal. Of course, since one of your existing flash drives may be up to the task I would try them first...those marked with the ReadyBoost label are typically more expensive.

John

Collapse -
Won't work

It won't work if the goal is to get around the 4GB limit on RAM in the 32-bit Vista. That is a hardware limitation, it has nothing to do with Vista itself. In 32-bit mode, your CPU can only access 4GB of RAM.

The 64-bit version of Vista can access more memory because it's running in 64-bit mode. On the PC it's not a true 64-bit system, so really memory addressing is 48-bit, bit that's still considerably more RAM than a 32-bit OS could use.

Collapse -
do you have an intergrated card reader?

if so, you should go with a high speed, "class 6", SD HC card. the "class 6" rating ensures it has adequate minimum write speeds. (a device that can read 20+MB/sec can perform poorly as a ready boost device if its random write falls under 3MB/sec).

using a usb flash drive can be hit or miss since unlike SD HC there's no standard speed rating for a usb flash drive. go with the higher 'x'factor (123x), brand name, and cost. the cheapest 2GB flash drive probably isn't the fastest.

here are some recent benchmarks of a few models but usb flash drive models change all the time so this may be out-of-date.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/2gb-miniusb_10.html#sect0

Collapse -
I am not sure... i have the gateway FX7020

In reply to: do you have an intergrated card reader?

it has a mediacard 15in1 reader and a portable media drive bay... im assuming if i do its the 15in 1 reader but ive never used either yet accept in a vain attempt to use my headphones on the front jack.

Collapse -
what SD HC card do you suggest?

In reply to: do you have an intergrated card reader?

I looked at best buy this weekend and only found the normal flash drives.

Collapse -
sandisk extreme iii sdhc are class 6

In reply to: what SD HC card do you suggest?

extreme ii are class 4; regular are class 2.

Collapse -
is there a greator class than class 6 sd cards?

In reply to: sandisk extreme iii sdhc are class 6

i havent found any so far. the card you named does look good though.

Collapse -
(NT) Class 6 is the highest available at this time.

In reply to: is there a greator class than class 6 sd cards?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.