Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

what is the best choice?

by swamprat / November 20, 2007 3:53 AM PST

I have 3 grown kids with 7 grand kids. All have video games but they are different with each household. I want to get 1 for here when they visit but can't ask the kids as each thinks something different is better. DO you know that feeling? Anyway I need t know recommendations for kids from 16 to 7 so I can get one for all to play. I see PS2, ps3
Xbox and 360 as well as natindo and Wii. Can someone give me some advise?
Confused Grandpa

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what is the best choice?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what is the best choice?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If it were me
by Jimmy Greystone / November 20, 2007 4:15 AM PST

If it were me, I'd probably get either the Playstation 3 (PS3) or Nintendo Wii. The Playstation 3 should be able to play a good number of older Playstation 1 and 2 titles giving it a very broad selection of games across a wide set of genres. Problem is, it's very expensive.

The Nintendo Wii is likely to have a number of games that might be fun for the whole family to play. The novelty of some of it might wear off over time, but it might work well for short visits of a week or less. It's not nearly as expensive as the Playstation 3, but it's much harder to come by. Most stores are having difficulty keeping them in stock.

The Xbox 360 does have some ability to play older Xbox games, but it's fairly limited, so you're largely confined to Xbox 360 titles which are going to be mostly first person shooters and your general action adventure sort of game. Probably not the best choice if the intended audience is visitors. It's also a bit on the expensive side like the Playstation 3, so just another nail in the coffin.

The Playstation 2 might not be a bad choice either. It's an old system, so it's cheap, has an extensive game library, and also has full compatibility with older Playstation 1 games. It won't be able to play many, if indeed any, of the latest and greatest games the grand kids may want to play is the major down side to it.

That is my opinion anyway. Hopefully this helps you in making your choice.

Collapse -
PS3 & Backwards Compatibility
by johnbuker / November 20, 2007 4:24 AM PST
In reply to: If it were me

Just a quite clarification on the backwards compatibility of the PS3- the new 40GB version of the system (the "affordable" version) does not feature backwards compatibility.

The original 20GB and 60GB versions (which you might still find for sale some places) featured full backwards compatibility.

The new 80GB version has some backwards compatibility through software emulation, but will not play 100% of the PS1 and PS2 games like the first generation of PS3s did.

And finally the latest 40GB version is not backward compatible at all.

Collapse -
You sure about that?
by Jimmy Greystone / November 20, 2007 5:07 AM PST

You sure about that? It doesn't make a lot of sense, since the 80GB model has purely software driven back compatibility that's part of the firmware. So it really doesn't make any sense. The 40GB model should be able to use the same software emulator as the 80GB. Otherwise, Sony is left maintaining two sets of firmwares, on top of having to deal with some units having hardware back compatibility and some not. They're also still going to be stuck maintaining the software emulator for the 80GB models, so it really doesn't cost them anything extra to include it with the 40GB models as well.

However, if Sony is really that stupid, then that would be an important thing to note. I don't doubt that they could do something so incredibly short sighted and foolish, it just seems a bit much.

Collapse -
You sure about that?
by johnbuker / November 20, 2007 6:37 AM PST
In reply to: You sure about that?

Well, nothing Sony has done with the PS3 so far has made a whole lot of sense, but yes, I can confirm that the 40GB PS3 does not feature backwards compatibility. However to clarify that- that's no PS2 compatibility.

And the compatibilities I was quoting we all for the North American versions of the PS3.

Wikipedia has a good chart that shows the differences between the different version of the PS3s that are out there. Sony has listed the fact that the new 40GB does not include PS2 backwards compatibility in their press releases on the 40GB version, but it's obviously not something they're advertising.

Collapse -
You're quite right
by Jimmy Greystone / November 20, 2007 7:26 AM PST
In reply to: You sure about that?

You're quite right about Sony making one huge blunder after another with the PS3 so far. This just takes it to a whole new level. I suppose the idea is to try and test the market to see just how strong the desire is to have backwards compatibility, but maybe I'm giving Sony too much credit with that.

In that case, I suppose I need to revise my earlier recommendation so that it only applies if you buy something other than the 40GB model. Otherwise, I'd probably have to say the Wii or PS2.

Collapse -
yes it does help
by swamprat / November 20, 2007 4:25 AM PST
In reply to: If it were me

I am trying to keep the greatest number of kids occupied without ignoring the youngest or oldest. Thank you for the opinion and explanation

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.