Android forum

Question

What is the best android TV box currently on the market ?

A friend of mine showed me this gbox thing he got off craigslist and it had some tv programs on it that id never seen. I was thinking about buying one but before i did my friend said his box broke and wouldnt connect to wifi anymore and the number the craigslist guy ha given him for "tech support" wasnt real and now hes screwed cuz he cant hardwire it. I googled android tv box and the first site that came up was www.skystreamx.com . I see tons of different ones on ebay n stuff for real cheap but they dont say anything about tv programs and are just being sold by random people and not an actual company. I dont know how many companies sell these things preloaded with programs where you can watch tv movies and sports n stuff for free but it seems like there arent many. If my friends box hadnt broken i would have bought one but if theres no customer service or anything i can do if it breaks i dont want it. Skystreamx.com claims to have a one year warranty and they are an Amazon prime dealer with nothing but good feedback but i just wanna know if anyone recommends a different box before i buy a skystreamx box

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the best android TV box currently on the market ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the best android TV box currently on the market ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
To me, most are junk.

In reply to: What is the best android TV box currently on the market ?

Collapse -
Amazon TV and Apple TV you have to pay to watch everything.

In reply to: To me, most are junk.

Im gonna gamble and buy a skystreamx, i called the number on there website and its the actual owner of the companies cell phone number. He said if i have any problems at all to call him and he'll fix it personally. Pretty rare to call a number listed on a site and get a human, let alone the owner. Ill post a review a few days after it comes in the mail.

Collapse -
I do not think it means what you think it means

In reply to: Amazon TV and Apple TV you have to pay to watch everything.

I watch plenty for free on mine. Frankly this post looks like astroturf for skystreamx. Let's hope members see it.
Bob

Collapse -
really ?

In reply to: I do not think it means what you think it means

I was under the impression apple tv was like ala carte and you paid for everything individually ? I guess i was wrong... i dunno what astro turf means but i dont work at skystream if thats what youre implying lol

Collapse -
Over the last few months

In reply to: really ?

I watched all the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Enterprise for free on the Amazon Kindle Fire over HDMI to the HDTV. Last month I upgraded to the Amazon Fire TV and it's very very nice.

What's on Amazon Prime could keep folk watching for years. Those android boxes rarely get such a library and the owners gripe to me about video encoding issues. With the Apple TV you can place your stuff in iTunes and play over and over.

I'm not doubting there is a good android box but having tried a handful, I really enjoy the latest offerings from Amazon and Apple.
Bob hits the play button.

Collapse -
well...

In reply to: Over the last few months

The 1channel app and icefilms had pretty much every movie and tv show episode for everything made after 1975... i dont use any iproducts, i dont think they are worth the ridiculous prices, my brother had an android, got an iphone for christmas and used it for about a year and a half, and he just bought the new galaxy and says he loves it and will never buy an apple product as long as android exists. Im somewhat skeptical of the skystream box just being exactly the same as the G box but the guy swore the boxes are professionally programmed by team elite mods florida and are superior to the g box. I hope he wasnt lying to get a sale cuz im on a pretty tight budget and cant afford to buy a 150 dollar paperweight... if its a piece of **** im gonna be pissed.

Collapse -
Here that i-model is 99 bucks.

In reply to: well...

Doesn't seem out of line to me. Same price for the Amazon Fire TV.

I take it you haven't used these products.
Bob

Collapse -
correct...

In reply to: Here that i-model is 99 bucks.

I havent used em, i have regular cable but i saw the gbix in action at my friends house and it didnt look to hard using a wireless keyboard with a finger mouse pad on it. Does amazon cost anything a month ?

Collapse -
By asking that question I take it that

In reply to: correct...

You have more research to do. At this time there is no monthly fee as Amazon Prime is included with the sale.

These boxes don't cost much and frankly the remote and UX is top notch. I'd be duplicating the web if I wrote more but I have used raw android boxes, the 2 I noted above so for me I can't imagine a better experience.
Bob

Collapse -
I take it you haven't used the SkystreamX4

In reply to: By asking that question I take it that

The preconfigured XBMC setup really does help- there are literally thousands of add-ons that would take tons of time to research, install, configure, and fix (because there are invariably unstable apps). People get into trouble when they are not familiar with XBMC and they tinker under the hood. I've had my X4 for 2 months now, I tinkered and got burned, the Elite Mods team fixed it for me, and now I've been good. I don't tinker anymore- I follow the Elite Mods and SkystreamX facebook pages and follow their instructions when something needs to be added or updated. Do that, and you're golden.

Collapse -
It's been months.

In reply to: I take it you haven't used the SkystreamX4

I find that model has too much spammed so much.

Collapse -
G-box, M8, minix, skystream are all pretty similar

The new G-box q has more RAM, but they are all pretty much the same with the same chipset and connection ports. In fact, I see no difference at all between the SkystreamX4 and the M8. The M8 is a raw android box, with XBMC but no XBMC addons installed (except maybe basic).The X4 is pre-configured with a bunch of pretty reliable addons that let you watch just about anything. The X4 boxes also come with other apps pre-installed (showbox, hd cinema, mobdro, and cartoon HD) that are similar to XBMC but don't require the tweaking. The drawback to the android boxes is that they are mini-pcs that requires occassional tweaking (e.g. clearing the cache) and sometimes the servers go down. With the Apple and Roku products, there is no maintenance, and the interface is much more intuitive. I think you will be disappointed with the Apple or Roku box.

Collapse -
Don't buy SkyStream... a waste of money.

SkyStream is fake. It doesn't work at all.

Collapse -
amazon has alot of selection

In reply to: Over the last few months

Yes, amazon prime does have alot of selection, but most of it is not free, it is ala cart as R. Proffitt stated. The Skystream obliterates both Netflix and Amazon for content, and the most up to date offerings in both TV and movies.

Collapse -
That's been spammed.

In reply to: amazon has alot of selection

Please avoid spamming in threads like this.

Collapse -
elite mods team service

From personal experience the Elite Mods team will log into your box and fix whatever. And they respond to their emails pretty quickly... like always same day, sometimes within minutes, sometimes an hour or so.

Collapse -
Some OTT box with added APKs plays as IPTV+ OTT

Amazon TV and Apple TV are IPTVs?

You can watch free films from the Internet.

Collapse -
Answer
Regarding android tv box

Satechi Smart TV Box ... The best one available is presently the Roku Streaming Stick, which is basically a more modest ... Best Android TV Box.

Collapse -
Answer
Do NOT buy SKYSTREAM. WARNED

It doesn't work period. The box looks really good. But you will spend the life of the longest movie ever made to find a link that streams. When you eventually find it, it breaks. Tons and tons of movies and shows are listed but will never play. Buy it only if have nothing better to do with your $200. You will get more fun tearing your bills into tiny pieces and throwing them up in the air.
While the hardware is ok, there is no incentive for the software hackers to rip movies and provide free shows while constantly updating dead links that are referenced by the box. The good reviews are fake. See the complaints of buyers on the SKYSTREAM facebook page. I once complained that the box doesn't work and they blacklisted me from the FB page. I have the box. The remote control only works within 6 feet. I once watched a movie there and it was great but upon looking for the same movie, the link is dead. Who has time to keep searching thru hundreds of links for one link that will play? DON'T CUT YOUR CABLE YET. If you buy it make sure you can return it if it doesn't work for you.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.