Storage forum

Question

What is the best 1TB class SSD drive?

by cwatkin / March 2, 2015 1:58 PM PST

I figure the Samsung 850 Pro wins if price is not an object but even those are coming down in price nicely now.

How about the 850 EVO? Seems just as fast. Has anyone done a torture test on one yet?

What about one that is a good reliable value but maybe not blazing fast? Crucial MX200 or Samsung 850 EVO?

I know there were only a handful of 1TB class drives a year or so ago and now there are LOTS, many of them being rebranded versions of another drive. Anyone have a favorite? Anyone have one to AVOID for reliability or cost/value reasons?

I presently have a Crucial M500 960GB and want to move it to a secondary position and get a faster primary drive as well as more space.

I think SSDs are the best thing since the invention of the computer and will eventually become common in even consumer units due to their small size and low power use. I am sure the mass-market OEMs will find a way to make them slow and unreliable so they can sell you a new one every year.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is the best 1TB class SSD drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is the best 1TB class SSD drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
For me this is the review that I pick from.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2015 2:53 PM PST
Collapse -
I like TomsHardware also.
by cwatkin / March 6, 2015 5:11 AM PST

I agree that the Samsung 850 EVO is likely a pretty good contender in the SSD world. Sure, it is TLC but has double the rated endurance of the 840 EVO series. If it is anything like the 850 PRO, it is probably way better than its rating. I have seen some claims of abuse/torture tests on the 128GB version of the 850 PRO where it has withstood 62,000 P/E cycles and still going strong when it is only rated and guranteed to withstand 6,000 P/E cycles. The earlier MLC and TLC drives tended to go to about 2-3x their rated P/E cycles before complete failure with errors beginning to show at about 2x the rating. That isn't bad. If this holds true for the 850 EVO, we should expect 4,000-6,000 PE cycles although I wouldn't be surprised if it might exceed that.

From what I have read, that 850 PRO is pretty much the best of the best. There are some enterprise rated units but understand a lot of that is marketing and that Samsung artificially rates the 850 PRO low to create a market for more expensive drives. I understand that some of PCI-E direct connect drives are many times faster but they are also costly and won't fit into most laptops. So the 850 Pro is the cream of the crop when it comes to SSDs that plug into a SATA 3.0 bus.

We all know Samsung has some good offerings, but how about others in the 1TB range? I see the Crucial BX200 or whatever scores pretty well?. The 1TB range used to only contain a handful of drives and now there are a ton to choose from. The price difference between the lesser known ones and the Samsung 850 PRO is narrowing. Also, the overall price has dropped like a rock.

I kinda like buying a drive where the controller, NAND flash, and all is designed and built from top to bottom by the same manufacturer like Crucial or Samsung. I am not knocking SandForce drives although some of the lower end ones seem to be based on the controller but it isn't uncommon for one to have minor issues with firmware and such.

Collapse -
My choice
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2015 5:17 AM PST

Was to pull back to the 480 to 512GB drives and pocket the cash for another day.
Bob

Collapse -
I also work with lots of GIS data and such
by cwatkin / March 6, 2015 7:43 AM PST
In reply to: My choice

Having a fast and large capacity SSD can bring processing times down from a week or more to overnight or so. I monitor the SATA port bandwidth and see at sustained at max for hours on end. Sometimes large GIS datasets can be several hundred gigs and a 1TB SSD can still seem cramped!

Collapse -
Small world.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 6, 2015 7:51 AM PST
Collapse -
Yes, RAM is also a winner!
by cwatkin / March 6, 2015 8:48 AM PST
In reply to: Small world.

RAM works wonders. It is too bad but most laptops still max out at 16GB but the more the merrier when it comes to a desktop.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.