Computer Help forum

General discussion

What is taking up all my memory?

by secret amish tekkie / November 14, 2010 2:16 AM PST

I have a laptop from MSI (an EX625). The C: drive (OS_Install) came with a 43GB hard drive. I have 1.12GB remaining. I'm running Vista. The largest program I have on the hard drive is the SIMS at 5.58GB. I moved all my pics to the 246 GB D: drive which has 239 GB remaining. Can I move the SIMS program to the D: drive and run it from there, along with all the saved files? What else can I do to increase the space available on my C: drive? Can I move my emails to the D: drive? My kids want to download a bunch of apps from iTunes and as they do it I slowly watch the memory on the C: drive disappear, so I have to stop them. I'm not necessarily a novice and can follow directions pretty easily, but hesitate from removing certain things from the C: drive in fear of not exactly knowing if I really need them for anything else. Thanks in advance for any assistance you might offer, even if you provide a weblink that says "do this".

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is taking up all my memory?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is taking up all my memory?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It is not memory, its your hard drive GB's
by wb2001 / November 14, 2010 3:14 AM PST

Interesting nickname you have. What your referencing is your hard drive. It is divided into partitions, example C:,D:. I read what you said, but please humor me.

1. Press Start button.
2. Press Computer
3. The top area will say Hard Disk Drives (X). That is the number of physical partitions on the single hard drive. Write down all Hard Disk Drives found, ie:(C:),(D:), their names, and sizes in GB's as "xxxGB free of GB".
4. Close open windows.

The next gets more difficult, and although your a "tekkie", please understand that your just going to view the following, DO NOT change anything. Write it all down. Then exit.
WARNING: DO NOT modify DISK 0. If you DO NOT understand this, DO NOT proceed with the next step.

1. Press START button
2. Open Control Panel (you must be in Classic View).
3. Open Administrative Tools
4. Click to open Computer Management. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
5. In the Navigation pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.
6. The table loads, in the center you will see Volume. Below are the list of Partitions currently present. ie: "name of partition" (C:) Layout Simple, Type Basic, File System NTFS, Status Healthy (System,Boot,PageFile, etc).
7. Below this window pane, you will see:
8. DISK 0 Basic, the formatted size, and Online.

Write down the formatted size. The table at the right shows all the actual partitions on the drive. As your information stated "C: 43GB, D:246 GB) that equals 289GB. The drive spec states 320GB, and I surmise it formatted at 302GB +/- . That would leave a hidden partition? Write down the GB's of each partition, and then EXIT.

Collapse -
My Mistake
by secret amish tekkie / November 14, 2010 7:11 AM PST

OK - your directions, first part Step 3 above.

OS_Install (C:)
1.21 GB free of 43.9 GB.

Data (D:)
239 GB free of 246 GB.

Your directions, 2nd part, Step 8. Here's what I see:

Disk 0
Basic
289.09 GB
Online.

To the right of this are three small "window panes". [The semi-colons are mine to show separation of info.]

Pane 1 - [NOTE: it is unnamed/blank]; 7.81 GB; Healthy (EISA Configuration).
Pane 2 - OS_Install (C:); 43.95 GB NTFS; Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active Crash Dump, Primary Partition).
Pane 3 - Data (D:); 246.33 GB NTFS; Healthy (Primary Partition).

Below these 3 panes is separate info for the F: drive, which I assume might go away if I take the disk out, but was in when I followed your directions).

CD-ROM 0
DVD
5.54 GB

In the window pane:

Sims3 (F:)
5.54 GB UDF
Healthy (Primary Partition).

Collapse -
Still have the same problem
by secret amish tekkie / November 20, 2010 10:50 PM PST
In reply to: My Mistake

Every now and then, the computer will "magically" free up space to around 3-4 GB on the C: drive. Then it drops back down to around 1.2 GB.

Collapse -
Re: disk space
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 20, 2010 11:13 PM PST

I'd start moving files from the c:-drive to the d:-drive. The way to do that heavily depends on what kind of file and where it is stored. For example:
- Programs must be uninstalled (from the c:) and reinstalled (to the d:)
- Your Documents folder (and everything in it) can be moved from its (right click) properties
- All other (data) folders you made yourself, can be moved. But you might need to redo some shortcuts
- There might be some complications with music files and such, because they are referenced from a library (for example in iTunes). If you move those from Explorer, they might get lost from iTunes. Then add them again.
- Running ccleaner (free download) with it default settings might help to free some extra space on the c:-drive.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks,...but a few more questions,...
by secret amish tekkie / November 25, 2010 10:48 PM PST
In reply to: Re: disk space

I've moved all docs/pictures/pdf files to the D: drive. It helped some. I'd like to move the kid's Sims game to the D: drive (it takes about about 5 GB). Can I just simply drag and add it there, or do I have to uninstall it from the C: drive, then re-install it on the D: drive? Will it even work from the D: drive? Can I do the same with their saved SIM games?

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. Hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving.

Collapse -
Re: Sims
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 25, 2010 10:51 PM PST

Depends on the game. My guess is that you need to uninstall and reinstall. Then moving (copy first, only delete if it works) the saved games to the place where saved games are stored on the new location might very well work.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?