HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

What is SPHOOK.DLL that has appeared on my desktop?

by elliehowe / March 20, 2008 7:38 AM PDT

I'm running Windows XP/home on a Compac PC, and I use Internet Explorer 6.26.

I noticed SPHOOK.DLL on my desktop this afternoon--I'm not sure how long it has been there. Clicking on "properties" told me nothing about it, so I did an online search. There's not much, but what I did find suggests that it is some type of malware that crashes Internet Explorer.

Now, I have been having that problem -- IE crashing after about five minutes being online--for the last week or so.

If sphook.dll is the cause of my IE crashes, do I simply remove it? Is it one of those things that, if I remove it, it replicates itself automatically somewhere else?

Also, I update and run Ad-Aware 7 and SpyBot religiously--every day at the end of my work--and I have AVG on "automatic." If it is malware, how did it get into my PC?

Thank you very much for any enlightenment you can give me; CNET Forum resource people are the BEST!

Ellie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is SPHOOK.DLL that has appeared on my desktop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is SPHOOK.DLL that has appeared on my desktop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If You're Using 'Free History Eraser',, Try Uninstalling It
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 20, 2008 8:55 AM PDT

There are other programs that also use a file by that name. (I find Citrix uses it also.) Have you tried doing a search of the computer to see if there are other files of that name on the machine.. It might give you a clue as to its source.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
SPHOOK.DLL other programs that use it
by elliehowe / March 21, 2008 5:44 AM PDT

Hi, Grif!

Thanks for the fast reply! I ran a search and found that it is in "Free History Eraser" which I will uninstall. It also shows up on my desktop and was modified 9/7/07. It could not have been on my desktop since Sept without my noticing it; it's only been there a couple of days. It also shows up in a folder on my desktop that has almost all Word and PDF documents in it, which is strange.

Should I delete the one on my desktop and in that big file? I don't know what this DLL file does, so I'm reluctant to delete it lest it cause more headaches.

Thanks very much, Grif. I'm always happy to see your replies!

Ellie

Collapse -
Uninstall 'History Eraser' First, Then...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 21, 2008 2:09 PM PDT

...restart the computer into Safe Mode.. While in Safe Mode, then delete the file from your desktop, if it still remains.. Once you've done that, restart into "normal" Windows and hopefully, it will remain gone..

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

I've checked a number of computers around here and none of them have a file by that name anywhere.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I got rid of Sphook.dll I opened it in notepad.
by Kudaja / September 14, 2010 9:15 AM PDT

I found Sphook.dll on my desktop. I am not sure if I found out a way to get rid of it or not but it seems to have worked for me. I right clicked on Sphook.dll and set it to open as Notepad so that it opens as a text file instead of a program. It then allowed me to delete it and get rid of it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.