Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Samsung forum

Question

What is new for 2012 TV's?

by Blue04Chevy / March 10, 2012 1:27 PM PST

Would someone be able to tell me the differences between the 2011 Samsung PN60D8000 and the 2012 Samsung PN60E7000 and 8000. I can get the 2011 PN60D8000 for a few hundred dollars cheaper than the 2012 60E7000 and about $800 cheaper than the 2012 60E8000. I'm not sure if the new ones will be worth the extra $$$. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is new for 2012 TV's?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is new for 2012 TV's?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 12, 2012 2:12 AM PDT

Blue04Chevy,

Usually the hardware and software are upgraded, and new apps for 2012 are made on a more powerful platform. Some models this year could include Apps that may not be available for 2011 or older models.

Some models this year also have voice and gesture control, and come with cameras built in for Skype and other camera features. Until the models are released, however, I don't have specific differences in the models available today.

Does that help a little?

--HDTech

Collapse -
Answer
Thanks
by Blue04Chevy / March 12, 2012 3:40 AM PDT

It somewhat answers my question. What I am really interested in is if the 2012 models are worth the money when I can get a 2011 for quite a few hundred dollars less. The only way to know is to compare and what I have found is alot of technical terms that don't mean a lot to me. For example, is there an upgarde in the black level from 2011 to 2012 or is it the same.

Thanks

Collapse -
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 12, 2012 8:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Blue04Chevy -

That is one of those "truly in the eye of the beholder" types of questions. We don't publish black level specs that I'm aware of, but the picture quality last year was quite outstanding, and this year looks to meet or even slightly beat that picture quality. We could talk specs, and I don't mind doing it. But the real test is if you like the picture quality better than the next set in the store, or on display.

The big draw is the new design, and features and Apps on the televisions, and that's something Samsung has pioneered and promoted for a few years now. I can't determine value questions, since I don't know if it's worth it (by that, I mean worth it TO YOU) to spend "xxxx" amount of dollars extra so that it makes for a good value for the money.

If you don't care about Apps, then don't pay the additional money for them and get the premium set for 2011. But 2012 models are innovative and add functionality this year, and might be worth it to you. Personally, I use the heck out of my movie streaming services, and I didn't think I would. But if all you want is Netflix, and your game console or Blu-Ray player already has that, then you might not need more Apps that you might not use.

Collapse -
Answer
Thanks Again!!!!
by Blue04Chevy / March 12, 2012 9:26 AM PDT

Now that helped but I still need to make a decision. I do like the new "Smart Evolution" in the E8000 series but am not to high on some of the other things like voice and gesture control. I appreciate the opinions and advise and will make a decision some day. Maybe I wait and see if some of the 2011 models are still available when the 2012's come out and then I can make a decision. I just hope they are still there or I won't have a decision to make. Thanks Again

Collapse -
Sure thing
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 12, 2012 9:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Again!!!!

Blue04Chevy -

Keep an eye on the ads in your Sunday paper for your local retailers. Sometimes they have promotions on the new, and closeouts on the old, too, which makes that $800. gap smaller.

I have no idea what's planned, and couldn't even post if I did. (Still, I don't!) But that said, good luck and I hope you find the deal that gives you the best value.

--HDTech

Collapse -
HDTech
by Blue04Chevy / March 12, 2012 1:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Sure thing

Thank you. I appreciate the time you took to respond.

Collapse -
No problem
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / March 13, 2012 3:21 AM PDT
In reply to: HDTech

I noticed your response in another thread that had been affecting several users over the course of several months.

While the vast majority of people have little or no issue with connectivity, some people have hardware that is incompatible, or outdated, or may have network limitations that we can't help with. Unfortunately, there are instances where I can't assist people, and additional configuration is necessary. That said, I hope we can earn your business.

Best to you either way.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks
by Blue04Chevy / March 15, 2012 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: No problem

I do understand that their are many more satisfied customers than not. If not Samsung would not be in business. With that being said, the issues brought up are not something I would be interested in so it does make me pause and weigh my options.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!