General discussion

What is Microsoft Silverlight?

What is its use?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: What is Microsoft Silverlight?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What is Microsoft Silverlight?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: What is Microsoft Silverlight?
- Collapse -
In simple terms...

...Silverlight is a competitor to Adobe Flash, which is the backbone of sites like YouTube. (Try right-clicking a YouTube video and you can see the "About Adobe Flash Player 10" link) Basically, it gets installed, and then you never worry about it again. It enables people who develop websites to put richer content on their sites. What I mean by this, is that instead of text and still images, websites can have tons of animations, sound effects, videos, and all around more powerful websites.

Basically, just install it and never worry about it again.

- Collapse -
Re Bam 421 & Silverlight

Hi Bam 421, if we never develop websites ourselves and already have Adobe Flash Player 10 is there any advantage to having Silverlight as well?
I read the links but they were not helpful for my query.
Thanks.

- Collapse -
Yes, there is.

Flash content on websites needs Flash player to play. Silverlight content on website needs Silverlight player to play.

It like a MS Word document or a mp3 on a website. You need a compatible program (like the MS Word viewer or a mp3-player) to read it.
Flash players don't play Silverlight. Silverlight players don't play Flash. So - depending on what sites you visit - you need both.

Kees

- Collapse -
If you want to install...
- Collapse -
Installing Silverlight

I noticed you didn't answer the follow on question. He isn't a developer, why should he install it. My recommendation - Don't. What do you need it for?

- Collapse -
Microsoft Silverlight

Microsoft Silverlight is a web application framework that provides functionalities similar to those in Adobe Flash, integrating multimedia, graphics, animations and interactivity into a single runtime environment.

Initially released as a video streaming plugin, later versions brought additional interactivity features and support for CLI languages and development tools. The current version 4 was released to developers on April 12, 2010, and the end-user runtime was released on April 15, 2010.

It is compatible with multiple web browser products used on Microsoft Windows, Linux (using Novell Moonlight), and Mac OS X operating systems.

Mobile devices, starting with Windows Phone 7 and Symbian (Series 60) phones, will likely become supported in 2010.

CNET Forums

Forum Info