Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

What is I.R.I.S. and I.R.I.S. desktop search do?

by slambeau / September 20, 2008 6:00 AM PDT

I have Windows XP Pro OS on a Dell Dimension 8400 and I thought the I.R.I.S. program had to do with my scanner/printer (HP1210xi). I thought I purchased it several years ago to improve the scanning so I could insert them into my Word documents and I never used it. When I click on it it says I.R.I.S. Desktop Search and shows two main categories 'Search the Internet' with some options and 'Search my Computer' with options like files, emails, music, pictures, favorites etc. It does not say anything about any scanner or printer so I really am confused. Also do I need it on my systems bar? The bar at the bottom of my computer if that is not the right word.
I have no idea what it does. Thanks for any info.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is I.R.I.S. and I.R.I.S. desktop search do?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is I.R.I.S. and I.R.I.S. desktop search do?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: I.R.I.S. Desktop Search
by slambeau / September 20, 2008 7:21 AM PDT

Thanks Coryphaeus you gave me a good start and I went to the site you sent. In my Add/Delete programs it shows I have I.R.I.S. Desktop search. I found I have Readiris Pro Version 10.02. according to my saved emails. I hope this is the same. Now I have to find out how to use it. Thanks a lot!! Does anyone else use Readiris?
Do I need to keep this on my bottom bar? It is the first thing that the computer loads when started up.

Collapse -
If it's in . . .
by Coryphaeus / September 20, 2008 10:16 AM PDT

the Task Bar, it's running in the background. Personally, I don't like for utilities to run in the background, they take up system resources. Some utilities are necessary, but I limit them.

Your choice. If it was me I'd look for the settings and turn off load at start.

Collapse -
I.R.I.S. Desktop Search on Taskbar
by slambeau / September 21, 2008 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: If it's in . . .

I am trying to find out how to find the settings to stop running the program on start-up. I've gone to the usual places but I can not find that option. Thanks for all your previous help.

Collapse -
I.R.I.S
by jlodhi / July 14, 2010 7:02 AM PDT

my computor is blocked with the I.R.IS. can any one help and tell me what is it? and how to remove it?

Collapse -
This happened to me to
by chardn / March 17, 2009 3:10 AM PDT

Recently bought an all-in-one HP printer/scanner/copier. It comes with this IRIS software, first it installs the ReadIRIS pro that works with the scanner and then afterwards asks if you want to install the IRIS desktop search. This IRIS desktop search has nothing to do with the HP all-in-one and ReadIRIS, it's just a search tool for trying to find stuff on your PC or the internet. I un-installed it as I don't need it and it annoys me when companies try to sneak extra software on to my PC, especially software that by default runs in the background.

Collapse -
Using IRIS desktop search
by Gods Girl / February 18, 2010 10:51 PM PST

I use it constantly, I pause the indexing between uses. I have scanned in hundreds of documents, everything from recipes to articles. When I'm looking for a recipe for instance, it gives me all the results on the top of the page and I can preview the files at the bottom without opening them. I've been organizing my files and can look for a particular author and put their articles all together in one folder.

Collapse -
IRIS is your friend
by jjbobb / March 5, 2010 10:01 AM PST

Iris desktop scanner was downloaded when I installed my HP all-in-one. I love it. I have lots of documents and forms in lots of files and instead of having to remember where they are and open different file levels, I type in the name of the document or a few words from it, and Iris will find and display it. I've put in a caller's name and it will pull up documents containing their name. My trouble is that can't get it to look up my corel address book in the contacts area. Any help?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?