Video Cameras forum

General discussion

What is going on here with the formats???

by LoneVVolf / October 18, 2008 7:05 PM PDT

I'm getting pretty confused/upset. I'm a Macbook owner (first-gen), and love using iMovie with my old Sony camcorder over Firewire to import/edit/upload home movies. So I was naturally really excited when the new Macbooks were announced - and upset about lack of Firewire!
So, now I'm starting to look for a new camcorder with USB - HD, of course. And now I'm getting completely screwed up from the available formats. Does no one really archive their raw footage anymore? I keep hearing how miniDV is on the way out - but that means that the only viable format option is DVD. Which only stores 20 mins. of highly compressed video. Is this a joke? Do I have to import all my media to the computer from an HDD camcorder, then save it to a full-sized DVD?

Basically, my question is, is miniDV _really_ on its way out, or can I safely buy a miniDV-based HD camcorder?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is going on here with the formats???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is going on here with the formats???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Formats ...
by Papa Echo / October 18, 2008 9:59 PM PDT

miniDV is still the choice for professionals. However, manufacturers make what consumers want, and they want DVDs and Hard Disks as recording medium. In the High D range, CANON has models for mini DV and HDV tapes, in additional to Hard Disk and DVDs, but choices are few.

Collapse -
Mac without Firewire?
by Dan Filice / October 19, 2008 3:17 AM PDT

What model of Macbook are you looking at that doesn't have Firewire? The only Mac that I know of that is not equipped with Firewire is the Macbook Air, which to me, is useless. Every other model of Mac laptop has Firewire. The latest Macs come with iLIfe 8, which is the dumbed-down version of previous iLife, and the new version directly accepts the new recording formats for "YouTube-Ready" cameras.

As far a camcorders, the manufacturers are "dumbing down" their products to make their camcorders and cameras "YouTube Ready", which is the lowest quality, but many people are stumped by downloading higher quality miniDV tapes then converting the video afterwards. Many people simply want their cameras to record in a compatible format for YouTube, which is why the hard-drive camcorders are common. For high quality camcorder recording, there are many HD camcorders that still record to HD tape formats, but in addition, there are high quality professional cameras that record to internal hard-drives, and there are cheaper consumer versions of these that record to hard-drives or memory sticks.

Collapse -
Macbooks have no Firewire
by LoneVVolf / October 19, 2008 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Mac without Firewire?

The newly announced Macbooks have no Firewire.

Collapse -
The White Macbook seems to still have it
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 3:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
Cheap?
by LoneVVolf / October 19, 2008 3:43 AM PDT

Sorry, not into going cheap. I would definitely get the new Macbook, except the no Firewire is a deal-breaker. And I already have a white Macbook - was looking for an upgrade. Though you're right - if I don't want the new features, I could get the cheapy one. Bah. Sad

Collapse -
The White Book is..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 3:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Cheap?

Very nice compared to your average laptop PC. But that's another story.

Collapse -
Wow, No Firewire!?!?
by Dan Filice / October 19, 2008 7:51 AM PDT

Well, this news coincides with what I said about formats being dumbed-down to allow for instant website posting from the camera without any file conversion. For years PC's did not come with Firewire, so to me, this is bad news that Macbooks won't come with Firewire. Sad, sad, sad.

Collapse -
The White Macbook comes with firewire.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 19, 2008 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Wow, No Firewire!?!?

Why is that being dismissed?

Collapse -
Firewire and computers....
by christy / October 19, 2008 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Wow, No Firewire!?!?

Firewire is required only for "capturing digital video", such as from miniDV tapes, which is increasingly not found as a recording format for 'consumers' camcorders. If you have Memory card, DVD or Hard disk as a recording medium, the files saved are already compressed mpeg2..etc., so only USB2 is necessary. The market determines your choices ... If you need Fireire, you need to add a card....

Collapse -
Or...
by LoneVVolf / October 19, 2008 2:33 PM PDT

Or in the case of the Macbook, buy another computer. Blech. Really a bad Apple.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?