Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

What is "Error Guard?"

by jijo272-19929603664454001560331024731446 / November 27, 2004 5:05 PM PST

Everytime I turn on the computer, Error Guard pops up and wants to do a scan. Is this a virus? I thought it might be an IE program, but I don't dare delete it and I don't dare use it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is "Error Guard?"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is "Error Guard?"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks Julea..
by Donna Buenaventura / January 25, 2005 1:02 AM PST

for confirming that it was the same application. Good to know that I tested the right application LOL Grin

Got no problem in removing also. I scanned (after removing the ErrorGuard) using Ad-aware SE, Microsoft Antispyware Beta, Spybot Search & Destroy - nothing is detected as spyware or adware.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Donna.
by zeebell / January 25, 2005 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Julea..
Collapse -
Got me too!
by GrahamC / February 3, 2005 6:39 PM PST
In reply to: Hi Lodge and Julea

OK sad man on Christmas eve downloaded EGuard and ran it.Its done a back up of what seems like all my registry items - it moved directly to running fix!
Have manually run through all items to restore to registry but not everything works. Cannot get System restore to work.

Complained that it had not worked - got a new reg key but that had no effect. Requested money back and as yet nothing in the CCard coffers.

Any suggestions to get system back and working correctly?

Its Driving me up the proverbial wall!

Collapse -
What is Error Guard
by zeebell / January 11, 2005 1:58 PM PST
In reply to: What is "Error Guard?"

I went to help a friend download AVG this evening and lo and behold if Error Guard didn't pop up on her PC when we booted up.

(my friend has Windows 98)

I'd just seen this thread so came back to read it. I did a search for the darn thing and there were numerous files associated with it. I also found it in the Add/Remove program. She paid nothing for this and got it dumped on her PC somehow ---- maybe it was a trial version (LOL)!

I then checked the start menu and it was shown in the lineup -- complete with an "Uninstall". I did just that and it disappeared. I then went to Find files and any remnants with Error Guard got deleted.

After no longer finding anything associated with Error Guard and running an AVG scan, we shut the PC down and booted it up again. Wahlah, no more Error Guard surprises.

I wonder if it left any surprises behind for her to find.

Collapse -
Extent of the Damage (edited)
by rshackleford310 / January 15, 2005 8:13 AM PST

I, stupidly, downloaded and installed Error Guard. I, however, DID NOT click YES to register. I followed the advice given in these posts and uninstalled EG, ran Ad Aware and Spybot, and did a virus check.

My question is, what is the extent of the damage? Is my computer permanently harmed? Was Error Guard just spyware or did it transmit ("steal") files/information from my computer?

Collapse -
Info Ref. Error Guard
by FLATFOOT / January 20, 2005 10:29 PM PST
Collapse -
what is
by casto8 / January 21, 2005 10:34 AM PST

I don't know if it is a virus. I updated my windows media player and error guard was attached. I thought it was part of microsoftand I ran the scan on my pc. Then it asked for the $39.99 I closed it but, it continued to pop up. I got tired of it popping up every time I started my pc. so I clicked on programs and found it had an uninstall. I have uninstalled it so far so good, no problems.

Collapse -
Error Guard
by joyrose / January 21, 2005 11:53 AM PST

Error Guard is not a virus. It is a program designed to protect you computer from errors by finding and removing them. Try running the scan and it should go away.

Collapse -
I disagree
by sharonlocke / January 22, 2005 7:25 AM PST
In reply to: Error Guard

My computer was running great until I bought and downloaded Error Guard. The next time I rebooted my computer - it crashed.

Collapse -
I didn't see anyone mentioning to turn off system restore..
by Gakada / January 21, 2005 12:53 PM PST

before trying to remove the program...

do we need to turn it off first for many unistallation of such thing??

Just curious...

Collapse -
Error Guard
by Peterukdevon / January 21, 2005 11:51 PM PST

I have Error Guard installed on my computer. It is NOT a virus but a very able program for finding errors on ur hard disk and fixing them. You must of downloaded this program in the past, or someone else has, as this is the only way to obtain, it as far as I know. You may well find that when u run it the program is out of date.

Collapse -
Old Version of ErrorGuad???
by computeruser / January 22, 2005 2:04 AM PST
In reply to: Error Guard

"You may well find that when u run it the program is out of date."

How can there be an OLD version of ErrorGuard? This 'software' has only existed for a few months!

Collapse -
What to do if ErrorGuard doesn't respond to your emails
by computeruser / January 22, 2005 1:23 PM PST

ErrorGuard uses a couple services to conceal his identity.

All credit card processing is done through ClickBank.com. ClickBank refuses to release any contact information for ErrorGuard.

ErrorGuard.com is registered using the DomainsByProxy.com "private" domain registration service. This means that when you look up (WHOIS) who owns ErrorGuard.com, you get this:

Domains by Proxy, Inc.
15111 N Hayden Rd., Suite 160
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax --

Not exactly something you'd see from an actual company!

If you are like me and have had your computer damaged by Error Guard, there are a few things that you can do to get some recourse:

1. Here is a telephone number, and email address for ErrorGuard where you have a good chance of getting a response:

*NOTE phone number removed by ADMIN because it's going to a personal phone number

Email: tom.king@errorguard.com

2. ErrorGuard uses ClickBank to process credit cards. ClickBank allows them to conceal their identity. You can call ClickBank at:

Phone: (208) 345 4245
Email: accounts@clickbank.com

915 W. Jefferson Street
Boise, ID 83702

3. ErrorGuard uses Domains by Proxy to conceal their domain registration information. Usually, you would be able to lookup the legal owner of a domain name. With Domains by Proxy, you get nothing of the sort. However, the unethical and potentially illegal activities of ErrorGuard is in violation of the Domains by Proxy user agreement. You can contact Domains by Proxy to complain at:

Phone: (480) 624 2599
Email: abuse@domainsbyproxy.com

Attn: Legal Complaints
15111 N. Hayden Road, Suite 160
PMB 353
Scottsdale, AZ 85260

4. ErrorGuard seems to exclusively uses the company Casale Media for their advertising (the annoying pop-up ads you all have received). Casale Media certainly doesn't want to have their clients upset customers contacting them because they provide no service. You can contact Casale Media at:

Phone: (416) 785 5908
(888) CASALE 9

Email: advertisers@casalemedia.com

Casale Media
74 Winold Ave.
Toronto, Ontario M6B1P5

5. ErrorGuard uses the company EV1.NET to host their website. This allows them to further conceal their identity as they do not need to purchase their own server, or dedicated internet line. Their phone numbers and email addresses are listed here:

390 Benmar Drive
Suite 200
Houston, TX 77060

[Edited by: admin on 1/24/05] Phone number for Error Guard has been removed because it's going to a personal number

Collapse -
Why the permnant red dot beside this post? :(
by glenn30 / February 9, 2005 10:11 PM PST

Each time I come to this thread it shows as a red dot and a new post even though I have been here and read many times. How can this happen? Sad

Collapse -
That is because Lee Koo edited it
by roddy32 / February 9, 2005 10:28 PM PST

to take out a personal phone number that was in it Glenn. I don't know the actually reason that causes it to happen but it's nothing to worry about LOL

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No worry... but annoyance to be sent there each visit.
by glenn30 / February 9, 2005 10:49 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes, that is true Glenn.
by roddy32 / February 9, 2005 10:54 PM PST
Collapse -
ErrorGuard bit my friend's butt
by Geno Gerber / February 13, 2005 5:29 AM PST

Thanks for all the good info. The Errorguard sure looks like a scam to me. I had to reinstall her OS in order to recover. b well...

Collapse -
by katem--2008 / January 26, 2005 9:03 PM PST

Error Guard is bad. It appeared on my computer, asking if i wanted to remove critical errors. i didn't know what is was so ran an adaware (Lavasoft) scan which showed a possible browser hijack attempt by casale media.com which generated the initial pop-up asking if i wanted to remove critical errors from my system. Doesn't sound good eh.

Collapse -
How can i check for ErrorGuard?
by weasley / February 12, 2005 12:42 PM PST
In reply to: ErrorGuard

I did not know much about computer but can anyone tell me how can i check for ErrorGuard present in my computer?Does ErrorGuard creat files in the system32,registry,services and startup?Or may be it creates spy,trojan,virus and malware?

Collapse -
I mean....
by weasley / February 12, 2005 2:12 PM PST

May be you guys/girls would misunderstand what i just post.I mean i had once installed ErrorGuard in my pc and i used many software to delete everything about it.But i'm sure that did i totally delete it in my pc.May be it hid in somewhere in my pc.So anyone can tell me how to check this?

Collapse -
Error guard 2.5.0. removal on my Windows 98
by mihailovy / January 28, 2005 11:02 AM PST

1.I Pressed ctrl-alt-del to see is there any running instance of error guard. If yes one should press "End task".If the program is running one or another way you may not be able to delete it.There may be also a supporting process that sees that error guard is running so that you might not delete the program. The program seems to behave much like a virus. "End task" any unusual process.
2.In Add / Remove programs remove it. Do not reboot!
3.With a file manager go to Program Files and find the working folder of Error Guard and remove the folder. In the folder there is a file called ErrorGuard.EXE and it has to be deleted while the program is not running. If still deleteing is impossible try it with a Windows 98 boot disk under DOS or in Safe mode command promt only.
4.Scan the registry for entries with "error", "guard" or "errorguard". Be careful what you delete. A good use is a registry cleaning program (Like EasyCleaner)
5.Especially useful is a program like StartManager that shows start entries. Remove error guard from list if found.
6.Does any one know if this "program" has other versions than 2.5.0 and what is its behaivor under other Windows?
Hope all this stuff will help someone.

Collapse -
Error Guard
by wiggle / January 29, 2005 12:10 AM PST

Just read the info here, I was lucky in that I have not clicked on the error guard link but some how I've got a file on my computer that keeps asking me to join, the only clue I have is that it open explorer and the title is "-" yes just a minus sign which is impossible to find as its one on the control characters any ideas how to get rid or even know what I've got to get rid of. Most of the difficult files I get rid of by going to dos but when you dont know what to get rid of OUCH!

Collapse -
i got the remedy
by skillaz / January 29, 2005 1:25 AM PST

download a software by the name of winpatrol.
then check under startup and look for error guard and you can prevent it from start up with ur machine.

Collapse -
Locked topic
by Donna Buenaventura / February 13, 2005 4:16 PM PST

This topic is now locked for it is too long.

Please start a new topic for any or similar issue.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?