PC Hardware forum

General discussion

what is DVD + sign and - sign

I went to store to buy DVD'S for my DVD burner and I got confused because of those above signs,which one is it for what,please explain,your help would appreciate.
thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what is DVD + sign and - sign
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what is DVD + sign and - sign
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE RE

In reply to: RE

Collapse -
(NT) link doesnt open

In reply to: RE

Collapse -
(NT) Old discussion. Now closed.

In reply to: link doesnt open

Collapse -
Plus or Minus?

In reply to: what is DVD + sign and - sign

Gee. I went and read some of the chatter at the links provided earlier, and came across someone arguing that if DVD+ does not play in one's set top DVD Player (not a computer, but what most of the public uses for viewing DVD movies), then you should not switch to creating DVD- videos, but instead purchase a new DVD+ compatible set top player. How more ridiculous can advice be???

Yes, if you do this, YOU will be able to watch those home movies you've written to DVD+. But what about your 10 relatives whom you will be sending copies to? You want THEM to have to buy new DVD players in order to watch your video masterpieces? Nope!

The best compatability and least expensive avenue is unquestionably DVD-. DVD- media is less expensive. More players can play DVD- than can play DVD+.

These are the facts of life. Do your family a favor and create your videos in DVD-.

As for long-range benefits to be derived from DVD+? Perhaps in a technical sense. But by then, DVD's will be obsolete and the new media of choice will be some type of digital flash card, like one now sees in digital cameras.

Stick with DVD-. Save yourself and your family some $$$. If you personally are the geeky type and want to use the slightly better technology, then purchase a combo drive which will write to both DVD+ and DVD-. But please, for those movies to be distributed, create them using DVD-.

If you already have a DVD drive in your Windows computer and just want to know which disk to purchase:

1. Right click the START button
2. Click Explore
3. Find your DVD drive in the listing and Right click it
4. Click Properties
5. Click the Hardware tab

All of your hard drives, floppies, CD, and DVD drives will be listed. The name of your DVD drive should be apparent, and it will include info as to whether you have a DVD+ or DVD- drive.

Examples:
Philips DVD+RW
Pioneer DVD-RW

Collapse -
DVD+ OR DVD-

In reply to: Plus or Minus?

AND WHAT ABOUT PANASONIC WHICH WILL NOT, REPEAT NOT, PLAY ANY OF THE DVD+'s THAT I'VE COPIED OR CREATED ON MY PC?????????????????

Collapse -
(NT) plus or minus

In reply to: Plus or Minus?

Thanks for that imformation I now know what my Dvd drive is thanks again

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.