General discussion

What is crossover setting ?

Sep 17, 2008 7:10AM PDT

Can any one explain me what is cross over setting in an AV receiver? How this work. I have Onkyo 805 receiver and KEF 3005 5.1 speaker system?

Give me some tips do some research with cross over setting.

Cheers
PK

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: What is crossover setting ?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What is crossover setting ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sure, though its a very loaded question
Sep 17, 2008 7:28AM PDT

I will K.I.S.S as much as I can.

X-over point is basically the freq point that you choose where the speakers audio starts to give its own information to the subwoofer.

The first reason why we even use one is because TRULY full range speakers are extremely rare, and extremely expensive.

The second reason is room acoustics, and the way responds in a room when placed in all those corners. There are other reasons too Im sure.

So, your speakers and your room acoustics, and setup.

Usually people x-over at 80hz. This one commonly works well. However, once your speakers start getting small enough, you need to put that xover up higher. The MAIN issue with this is that the sub becomes more and more localizable as you do this. So having the sub near the mains could ameliorate such an effect. It all depends, includeing where you are sitting.

Really the easiest and best way is to use your ears. The louder you listen the more likely you will want to raise that xover.

Now a xover is not a brick wall. There could be a LOT of info being shared. Its all about the "slope". 1st order, or 2nd, 3rd, and so on. Which basically means 6db/octave, 12, 18 and so on. Where it gets extremely technical is with the types of filters, whether Butterworth or Linkwitz-Riley, etc.

To make you more confused, different receivers can have different slopes. My guess is that most receivers are 12db or 2nd order. Sometimes they will be like that and be 1st order/6db for the speaker outs, which would strike me as strange, until I learned that they are depending on the speaker to have its own natural roll-off already.

Higher end receivers, pre/pross sometimes come with 24db (4th order) slopes. I think of NAD and Cambridge for example, two brands I own. This is a steeper rolloff. What that means is that less info is being played by BOTH speakers and sub. More close to a wall, though a wall it is not.

Therefore, the higher the order or slope, the less audio is being shared by sub and speakers.

Hope this helps.

Now that I have completely freaked you out, I would try 100hz for starters on your system. 80hz might work, but again it depends, and really the only that matters is:

Your Own Opinion

- Collapse -
"So having the sub near the mains" is an extreamly good idea
Sep 19, 2008 5:45AM PDT

I have many people say over the years that bass is omnidirectional so it doesn't matter where you place the sub.
This in not true! OK the sound that comes from the sub will spread around the room, but the sub still needs to be by a front speaker. by placing the sub some where else in the room you loss the coherency/impact of the sound. John

- Collapse -
Thanks for the response John
Sep 19, 2008 5:50AM PDT

I would if I could. I supersized my screen, and so I can't. As I've been cranking it louder and louder, as I find that I can after treating the room, the sub has become more localizable.

Not awful, but at certain moments I definitely know its to the right of me. Ah well. Live and learn. Compromise, always.

- Collapse -
-
Sep 17, 2008 9:07AM PDT

Essentially, it determines which notes are played by the speakers, and which notes are played by the subwoofer.

You should set yours down to 80Hz for all your speakers since that's where those particular KEFs start to trail off and sound bad and the usb picks up.

If you want to set your subwoofer crossover a bit higher that would be ok; you can play with that setting depending on what type of bass you like. For louder boomier bass, set it higher, maybe 100Hz or 120Hz. For quieter but crisper bass, keep it at 80HZ.

- Collapse -
Sep 17, 2008 9:09AM PDT

usb=sub

CNET Forums

Forum Info