Question

what is cnet"s recomm. software for deleting file duplicates

Apr 22, 2011 7:06AM PDT

in your reviews i find that easy duplicate file deleting software is the one you recommend. is this so as there are a few others. I want to use such a program primarily to find photo or image duplicates in windows 7 hp. with no speed issues..

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: what is cnet"s recomm. software for deleting file duplicates
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: what is cnet"s recomm. software for deleting file duplicates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Very very difficult
Apr 23, 2011 9:42PM PDT

In these forums we never recommend 'duplicate file finders', despite what other parts of this web site may say. The risks are just too great.

Putting aside your photo's for a moment, the problem is this. In Windows many files are shared, but many are not. It is quite feasible for one application to utilise a shared Dynamic Link Library file, (.dll), in the Windows folder or Windows\System32 folder, then another application to use it's own .dll file of the same name, stored it it's own folders. A duplicate file finder would find two instances of that .dll file and delete one. If you delete the wrong one you can halt applications like a 'dead strop'. There is no way of telling which applications use these .dll files, so you are taking a leap in the dark in choosing which to delete.

Back to your photos, how would a duplicate file finder analyse the photos? it doesn't 'look at them' with eyes the way we do. All it can do is check for file type, size, name, date created, and so on. So it is possible you have two files, two different photos, with the same file name, same file type, same size, but in different folder locations. So the file finder will tag these as duplicates, you delete one, then you have lost your only photo of some important event.

Or, you can have two files, two photos, that are the same, but their properties are different, eg different file type, different size, different creation date, etc. So the file finder will discount those as not the same.

Sorry, but the only sure way is to catalog these photos yourself, and work through them and delete any that you are sure you have duplicates for.

Mark

- Collapse -
Duplicate File Program
Apr 24, 2011 12:43AM PDT

mark if cnet does not recommend any duplicate file finders then why do they bother to review such programs.. the program i mentioned does have a safety feature where the .dll files,windows files and other app files will not be deleted.(called easy file)they also will tell you which photo was the original one. so i do feel that this program does have some valid use. thanks for yor advice and Have a Nice easter holiday!!

- Collapse -
Response
Apr 24, 2011 12:48AM PDT

I can't speak for CNET. The helpers in these forums are all volunteers, and are not employed by CNET in any way. That goes for the moderators as well.

It seems your mind is set. All I can do is say what we have found in the past in these forums, and let you make that final decision.

Mark

- Collapse -
Clarification Request
I hope this clarifies what most Moderators think about this.
Apr 24, 2011 1:03AM PDT

"We only lose what we didn't backup."

CNET Forums

Forum Info