Auto Repair - Roadshow forum

Question

What is causing this?

I have a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It is a 4.0 L Straight 6 Engine with 4x4.

I have multiple issues with it.

1. When I try to start it it won't start, I have to turn the key over for seriously 10-15 minutes and then it will start. (I have checked the starter and that is good, I have replaced the starter relay, I have swapped out the ignition feed fuse, I have also swapped out the entire ignition.

2. When it is in two wheel I hear a grinding and it acts like it automatically locked in 4x4 and not engaging the 2 wheel.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is causing this?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is causing this?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
tranny problems

In reply to: What is causing this?

If you have a problem with the tranny, then you may also have killed the neutral switch mounted on the tranny which allows the starter to run and keeps it from running when it's not in Park or Neutral. If you find the wire that goes to that and ground it out, maybe it will crank. But realize it's dangerous because you might crank while in gear. This is related to automatics.

Collapse -
starter

In reply to: tranny problems

It was the starter. I don't know why it tested good when I took it in but I just bought a new starter and fixed that issue but I still have the issue with my 4 wheel and 2 wheel. When I have the jeep in 2 wheel the front drive line tries to engage like it's trying to engage the 4 wheel.

Collapse -
armature

In reply to: starter

Either the brushes get worn or it stops on a dead spot on the armature. If you take one apart you can see where the brushes rub and the larger end where the field coils in the housing and the alternating direct current plate are on the armature. Sometimes just one spot where the brushes run will be burnt and if it stops there, only hope and a 2x4 smacking it will get it off sometimes so it will be on good spot and start. I had an old 77 dodge PU I kept a 2x4 for that purpose at one time. Another trick is if the bendix kicks it back against the flywheel is rock the vehicle and with the starter gear engaged to the flywheel it might move it enough to suddenly start cranking. That latter works best on a manual tranny.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.