Laptops forum

General discussion

What is best combination of RAM, Hard Drive & Processor?

by 02mca31 / August 31, 2010 1:04 PM PDT

Hello everybody,
I am planning to buy my 2nd laptop in next 2 months. My very important question is: What should be the best blend of 3 main component of the laptop - Processor, RAM & Hard Drive? My dream one would be 6/8 GB RAM, >500 GB HD & >2.5 GHZ processor. But is there anything like you have certain amount of RAM & HD if you get 2.5 GHZ or 3.x G HZ of processor? Or vice versa in other combinations?

Please advice me. Let me know if you don't understand my question.

Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is best combination of RAM, Hard Drive & Processor?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is best combination of RAM, Hard Drive & Processor?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The best blend for whom?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 31, 2010 3:01 PM PDT

If you want to se a good blend or fine choices that work well together look at the Apple MacBook series.

If you are some gamer, then you go with a gaming laptop.

But you seem to be new to the game so have you read anything that GHz is not the way to measure a machine's performance?
Bob

Collapse -
laptop
by IsabellaJ_WinTeam / September 1, 2010 4:32 AM PDT

Hi there,

What will you be using your laptop for? 6/8 GB of RAM is a very large amount. With some more context, I think I can help make some laptop suggestions!

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team

Collapse -
RE: Laptop - Ideal combination of RAM, HD and Processor
by 02mca31 / September 1, 2010 12:06 PM PDT
In reply to: laptop

Ya, I am software programmer. But this laptop I am not using for much of programming stuffs. I am going to use the laptop daily. I like music and good quality video without having a streaming problem. Rarely I play games on laptop. But I need photo, music, etc and Internet browsing very quickly. I am planning to use this laptop for next 7 or 8 years. I need laptop that runs long for like 6 hrs in a single battery charge. Screen size 14" is fine and it shouldbe LED and HD with high resolution.
Let me know if you need more details. Thanks for your time answering my questions.

Collapse -
That helps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2010 9:21 PM PDT

But I have yet to see any Apple or PC that has no streaming problem as this is always about your internet link. Are you sure this is a machine issue?

OK, you told a bit more. If I were going to not play games I could try the Sony series like the EB. You can get it with the i5 CPU which I think is the nice place to be. You can opt for dedicated graphics if you must play games.

The Sony display is very nice and I suggest you go look at that model to see if that is up to your expections.

About the 7 to 8 years. Unless I move to the Panasonic Toughbooks I don't expect laptops to go much beyond 4 years without TLC and repairs.
Bob

Collapse -
Sony Vaio EB series
by IsabellaJ_WinTeam / September 2, 2010 5:09 AM PDT
In reply to: That helps.

Hi there,

I agree with Bob that the Sony Vaio EB series is a great choice. A laptop that last 7 or 8 years is probably unlikely and six hours of battery life may be pushing it unless you buy an extra battery. Would you consider buying an extra battery despite the extra weight that it will add to the laptop?

Cheers,
Isabella

Collapse -
asus laptop
by laptop expert / September 5, 2010 9:07 PM PDT

For $999 these days you can get very nice ASUS U43JC-X1.My friend has purchased this laptop and i heard that Battery life is excellent and environmental control allows you to easily change settings that affect battery life and user experience .
The i5 in this laptop is incredible for browsing and general tasks. The Intel graphics are capable of running light, casual games like Audiosurf and Beat Hazard, allowing you to save the Geforce 310M for more heavy tasks.
http://www.amazon.com/U43JC-X1-14-Inch-Bamboo-Laptop-Battery/dp/B003V4AK4I/?tag=sdfrm-20
It has Aluminum-accented bamboo. the bamboo has a nice, dark finish to it and seems well-protected from scratches and scuffs.
performance wise, this is a great laptop.

Collapse -
Beware this member's advice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 5, 2010 10:30 PM PDT
In reply to: asus laptop

It looks like they are using referral links so they benefit from the sale.

The clue is their multiple posts with the tag=sdfrm-20 and always on amazon. While amazon is a stellar vendor, they are only a vendor and offer no support so far worth noting beyond sales.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks !
by 02mca31 / September 6, 2010 1:05 AM PDT

Thank you so much for your valuable replies...

Collapse -
you're welcome!
by IsabellaJ_WinTeam / September 8, 2010 3:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks !

Hi!

You're welcome. Glad I was able to help. Have you settled on a laptop?

Cheers,
Isabella

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?