Computer Newbies forum

Question

What is baseband in networking?

by o00pcsm / April 15, 2015 7:02 AM PDT

Explain to me in your own words in a simple way no links please I been searching for weeks on Google but I still can't understand it I try to understand the key words they use when they describe what base band is like the words frequency, channel and the word medium so to me the word frequency is very vague to me when they describe it like what is it referring to when its use in a base band context please help me understand this difficult term that a lot of sources have failed to make it simpler to understand.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is baseband in networking?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is baseband in networking?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: baseband
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 15, 2015 7:09 AM PDT

This seems to have many meanings, depending on the context. So please give a few examples of its use in the cases where you don't understand it.

And why do you want to know it? Personally, I'm totally happy if it works.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks for responding
by o00pcsm / April 15, 2015 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: baseband

I'm reading about this in my book so i came across this 10base-T term so I already know what the 10 means (10 Mbps) and the T means as well which means (twisted wire) but when it comes to understanding that word base aka short for Base band that throws me off that's when it gets difficult when i Google for base band that's when i run into confusion in words like frequency channel and medium so I tried to understand those words but they are very vague on what they are referring to in a base band context

Collapse -
Re: 10Base-T
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 15, 2015 8:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for responding

Let's say 10Base-T is way 10 Mbps signals over twisted wire iusing the IEEE802.3 protocol. To understand the details you need to be an electronic engineer. Probably you aren't?

But this isn't really an answer to my question: please provide a few sentences using the term 'baseband'.

Frequency = number of waves passing by in a second
Medium has so many meanings, that all I can say is 'depends on the context'.

Kees

Collapse -
from the book
by o00pcsm / April 15, 2015 6:40 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: 10Base-T

If that was true then why is it in my book then just saying because i plan to take the CompTIA A+ exam soon so i have to know about it the easiest way i can make you understand if i type out the paragraph from the book here it goes

"Some people love wired connections, and this D-Link device is considered 10/100/100BASE-T. That means that it can auto-negotiate connections at 10 Mbps, 100 Mbps, and 1000 Mbps (1 Gbps). The BASE applies to any speed, and it is short for Base-band meaning every computer on the network shares the same channel or frequency."

The thing that gets me confused is the frequency and the word channel but since you just mention frequency are you referring to waves of data? what are the waves for? And when i think of waves i think of analog signal.

So would you say that Base band is basically a transmission of packets of data like files like mp3 video documents etc.. running through a Ethernet cable? I'm just saying I'm reading this in a networking chapter

Collapse -
Re: book
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 15, 2015 9:21 PM PDT
In reply to: from the book

I see you made your question about frequency a separate post in http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7589_102-639963/what-is-frequency-in-base-band/?messageId=5671387#message5671387. So that seems a good place to answer that.

Baseband is the opposite of broadband, as told in http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/B/broadband.html.
I think this belongs to another of the 7 OSI-levels than transmitting packets of data, so - if that's true - it's not the same. Things from different OSI-levels are different things, of course. Your networking studies did include the OSI-model (Open Systems Interconnection), I assume.

Kees

Collapse -
base band = common accepted frequencies
by James Denison / April 16, 2015 10:21 AM PDT
In reply to: from the book

for those type of devices.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.