Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

What is a Trojan?

I have XP professional on my pc. I also have AVG antivirus and Anti spyware. It found a trojan and quarenteened it. Just what is a trojan and what does it do? I ran a (Vcleaner.exe) that was supposed to get rid of it, but it kept popping up, in the scans. I went in, and told it to delete it, I haven't seen it pop up since, but I was just wondering what it is? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is a Trojan?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is a Trojan?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
trojan horse

In reply to: What is a Trojan?

Unlike viruses, trojan horses do not normally spread themselves. Trojan horses must be spread by other mechanisms.

A trojan horse virus is a virus which spreads by fooling an unsuspecting user into executing it.

An example of a trojan horse virus would be a virus which required a user to open an e-mail attachment in Microsoft Outlook to activate. Once activated, the trojan horse virus would send copies of itself to people in the Microsoft Outlook address book.

The trojan horse virus infects like a trojan horse, but spreads like a virus.

http://www.tech-faq.com/trojan-horse-virus.shtml
Collapse -
trojan horse

In reply to: trojan horse

Marianna,
Thanks for the info. I did read the description. In my opinion this is a bad thing. I just recently performed a clean reinstall of XP, due to a virus. Can I do another clean reinstall of XP PRO. without causing a big headache for myself? This pc is almost six years old. I use dialup to connect to the internet. I know little to nothing about computers, so any guidance you can offer, is most welcome.

Collapse -
What you could do.....

In reply to: trojan horse

First download AVG Anti-Spyware from HERE and save that file to your desktop.

After the installation, a free 30-day trial version containing all the extensions of the full version will be activated. At the end of the trial, these extensions will be deactivated and the program will turn into a feature-limited freeware version.

Once you have downloaded AVG Anti-Spyware, locate the icon on the desktop and double-click it to launch the set up program.
Once the setup is complete you will need run AVG Anti-Spyware and update the definition files.
On the main screen select the icon "Update" then select the "Update now" link.

Next select the "Start Update" button, the update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed.
Once the update has completed select the "Scanner" icon at the top of the screen, then select the "Settings" tab.
Once in the Settings screen click on "Recommended actions" and then select "Quarantine".

Under "Reports"
Select "Automatically generate report after every scan"
Un-Select "Only if threats were found".

Close AVG Anti-spyware, do NOT run a scan just yet, we will shortly.

Reboot your computer into SafeMode. You can do this by restarting your computer and continually tapping the F8 key until a menu appears. Use your up arrow key to highlight SafeMode then hit enter.

IMPORTANT: Do not open any other windows or programs while AVG Anti-spyware is scanning, it may interfere with the scanning proccess:
Lauch AVG Anti-Spyware by double-clicking the icon on your desktop.

Select the "Scanner" icon at the top and then the "Scan" tab then click on "Complete System Scan".
AVG Anti-Spyware will now begin the scanning process, be patient this may take a little time.

Once the scan is complete do the following:
If you have any infections you will prompted, then select "Apply all actions".

Close AVG Anti-Spyware and reboot your system back into Normal Mode.

Download: CCleaner
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html
http://www.ccleaner.com/
Once installed, run CCleaner click the Windows tab

Once installed, run CCleaner click the Windows tab

Select the following:
Internet Explorer:
Temp Internet
History
Recently Typed URLs
Delete Index.dat files

System:
Empty Recycle Bin
Temporary Files
Memory Dumps
Chkdsk File Fragments
Old Prefetch Data

- If you want to keep the Internet Explorer Cookies, then unmark 'Cookies'
- If you want to keep the Internet Explorer History, then unmark 'History'
- If you want to keep Windows Log Files, then unmark 'Windows Log Files'
- you're using Mozilla's Firefox or Internet Suite
- Click the tab Applications
- If you want to keep the Internet History, then unmark 'Internet History' under 'Firefox/Mozilla'

Next: click Options click the Settings tab
Uncheck: "Only delete files older than 48 hrs.", click Ok

UNCHECK ALL other default settings in the program !

Then click Run Cleaner (bottom right) then Exit (reboot)

Collapse -
What you could do....

In reply to: What you could do.....

Marianna,
First I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for your help. I did everything you told me to do, and AVG found 2 trojans and a thing called (Adware. Comet and one called Adware. MaxSearch). They are all in quarenteen. Then I downloaded and ran CCleaner and completed those steps. I figured my PC would run like a bullet, but it didn't. My neighbor stopped by and we were talking about it. She said no wonder you are having so much trouble. This is what she told me to post to you next: I have 2 local disks showing and one hard drive: (Local Disk (C:) has free = 2.73GB Total size = 8.85GB
(Hard drive (D:) has free = 33.8GB Total size = 37.2GB
(Local Disk (G:) has free = 9.69GB Total size = 9.78GB
I originally had a 20GB hard drive and added a 40GB as slave.
A tech guy from Microsoft helped me do a clean reinstall of my XP Pro.
OS. I did what he told me to do, which is what my neighbor says is causing a lot of my problems, HE had me split my 20GB into 2 partitions. We or should I say, my neighbor tried to move some stuff off Local C, but it wouldn't let her. It actually took me 28 minutes to connect to the internet and get to the forums page. Do you know if I can get the 2 partitions to join as 1 ?? She says there are programs that will let you do it, but I am SO strapped for money right now, that buying anything is not an option for me. What can I do, besides start over with the reinstall?? Give me a little hope, here. Thanks!

Collapse -
Hi wra122

In reply to: What you could do....

You are doing great Happy

As to Adware.comet : Comet Cursor Removal Instructions and Help

Have a look here:
http://www.pchell.com/support/cometcursor.shtml

Regarding Adware.MaxSearch - MaxSearch Removal Instructions

Have a look here: http://www.spywareremove.com/removeMaxSearch.html

Regarding your hard drives - I would suggest to post this question in the XP forum as you will get more replies as in the Virus & Security forum you are in now.

XP forum is here:
http://forums.cnet.com/5204-6142_102-0.html?forumID=5&tag=dir.forum&tag=dir.forum

Good Luck !

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.