HolidayBuyer's Guide

Deals forum

Resolved Question

What is a good budget gaming desktop?

by Jnkees / December 9, 2014 4:45 AM PST

I am hoping that I could get a recommendation for a budget desktop that could be used for moderate gaming. I really appreciate any help that you all could provide.

Here is what I am looking for:

Price range: I am aiming for something around the $500 range. I could maybe go as high as $700 if it would result in a better overall return on the investment, but I couldn't spend any more than that.

OS: I would want either a Windows 7 or 8 system. I have a slight preference for 8, simply because it is newer and would be supported for a longer period, but that is not a deal breaker for me either way, since I prefer the 7 user interface with a mouse and keyboard. (No, I am not interested in a Mac, thank you.)

Hard drive: 1 TB would be nice, but I could realistically get by with as little as 500 GB, if it meant I could get more processing power. Anything larger than a terabyte or two would probably go to waste on me.

Usage: I would use the computer for work, general home use, and gaming. I am the type to keep my computer on 24/7 (so that I can access the desktop remotely when I need to), so good cooling is useful. I play a lot of browser based games, as well as Blizzard games (Diablo 3, and Starcraft 2), I got Skyrim last year, but my old setup (from 2009) was not able to run it. I do not need something top of the line, just a computer that could run Skyrim or similar game at an OK framerate. I am not an early adopter, so I have no problem waiting a few years to play a game. However, it would be nice if I could find a system that could last me another 4-5 years of such use with minimal upgrades.

Chassis: I really couldn't care less about the style of the chassis, beyond preferring an upright tower to a more horizontal shape. But even that is not really a big deal. 6+ USP ports would be good, as well as HDMI output, Ethernet, and any other standard ports. But lights and sleek design would do nothing for me, as the computer would just sit under a desk all the time. A DVD drive would be preferred though, or at least the space to install one later. I'm also not terribly concerned with noise. I am used to the fans whirring away, and I use headphones when I play games.

Manufacturer: I am looking for a prebuilt system. I have no experience building a computer from scratch, and I am not really interested in doing so this time. I could upgrade a component if I needed to, but I would rather have a company to call for customer service with some sort of limited warranty than to save a few bucks doing it myself. That being said, I really don't care very much who the manufacturer is, as long as it has good components for a great price.

For shipping and currency concerns I am located in the Southeastern United States.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jnkees has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What is a good budget gaming desktop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What is a good budget gaming desktop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Jnkees

Collapse -
Have to write it's an Unicorn.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2014 4:58 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks
by Jnkees / December 9, 2014 5:12 AM PST

I know it is hard to find, but the last system I got was about $350 (ZT systems in 2009) and it has held up up tell now with everything I wanted it to do (other than Skyrim). Surely there is some deal somewhere on the internet where I can find something similar.

Thanks for the Toms's guide. It has some useful information, but I do not know how to build a computer from scratch.

What I'm really looking for isn't a normal priced setup, but a deal (a sale, coupon, refurbished unit) or something like that.

Collapse -
CNET writes...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2014 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
Getting closer...
by Jnkees / December 9, 2014 5:32 AM PST
In reply to: CNET writes...

The Lenovo Website doesn't have any Erazers available at that price, but I did find this: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/desktops/lenovo/h-series/h50-intel/?sb=:000001C9:00012D33:#tab-tech_specs

for $449.99

Processor:4th Generation Intel Core i3-4160 Processor (3.60GHz 1600MHz 3MB)
Operating system:Windows 8.1 64
Memory: 6.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM 1600 MHz
Hard Drive:1TB 7200 RPM
Optical Drive:DVD Recordable
Network Card:Lenovo BGN Wireless
Warranty:One year
Form Factor:Rack
RAM:UDIMM
Warranty Details:On-site
Weight:16.02 ( 7.28 kgs)
Height:( 500 mm)
Width:( 280 mm)
Depth Sad 485 mm)
Keyboard:USB Keyboard
Card Reader:7-in-1 Card Reader

Do you think that might work, or am I missing out on something important here?

Collapse -
(NT) I think you should keep it to one post. More at other post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 10, 2014 2:20 AM PST
In reply to: Getting closer...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.