Speakeasy forum

General discussion

What if the Shuttle Never Flew Again?

NASA's Fear of Flying

NASA?s human spaceflight workforce is hard at work attempting to get the space shuttle program back to flying status. But grasping at the Return to Flight (RTF) shuttle straw is proving elusive.

Both inside and outside NASA, there are worries among the workforce that the more time the shuttle fleet sits grounded, other trouble spots may materialize. And if the RTF crusade stretches out month after month, and costs to counter those problems mount, the overall desire to fly the shuttle again could erode....

This has already signed the end of service for the Hubble. Without the shuttle the ISS will not be completed as designed either. Is it time to spend the money on a change in direction?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What if the Shuttle Never Flew Again?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What if the Shuttle Never Flew Again?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:What if the Shuttle Never Flew Again?

In reply to: What if the Shuttle Never Flew Again?

IMO, this is sad. We should never close our minds to
the realm of possibilities. To dream and make them reality is what everybody should want and strive for.

Collapse -
Re:What if the Shuttle Never Flew Again?

Hi Clay,

Well, the shuttle turned out to cost more as a "re-useable" launch system than if they had designed it as not. Or so I've heard. I think the abandonment of the Hubble is a bad move - maybe Congress can turn that one around.

I think the ISS has been "sold" the wrong way from the getgo. Space should be looked upon from a knowledge/science basis, not what monetary rewards the participants may or "should" gain.

Unfortunately, my impression is that the general public does not have very much interest in space missions.Or science, for that matter!

Rick

Collapse -
Re: What if the Shuttle Never Flew Again?

Hi, Clay,

IMCO, we should restart the X-33 spaceplane before anything else. Building the Mars mission on the moon is foolish, because we have to boost everything up from earth. We should be building it in earth orbit, at a spot at the top of a "space elevator."

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.