Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

what if safe mode doesn't get the bug out?

by mykietown / October 10, 2005 10:51 AM PDT

Hi-

I started this string back in the newbie's section:

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6121-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=129981&messageID=1466987

(or look for the "After the fact virus protection..." string). Anyhoo, I got some great tips in getting rid of some suspicious malware. It was suggested that I try running SpyBot Search & Destroy in Safe Mode.

Well, I tried running SpyBot in Safe Mode, and I got the same response that I did in regular mode:

Error during check
Xuron 55 (Datei C:\WINDOWS\win.ini kann nicht geoffnet werden. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process).

Any other ideas to get rid of this bug? Is this one particularly bad?

I run on Windows XP Home Edition 2002 with service pack. Here's a list of my task manager processes:

IEXPLORE.EXE
taskmgr.exe
iPodService.exe
IEXPLORE.EXE
NPFMNTOR.EXE
NAVAPSVC.EXE
fpavupdm.exe
alg.exe
spoolsv.exe
CCEVTMGR.EXE
SPBBCSvc.exe
explorer.exe
SNDSrvc.exe
CCSETMGR.EXE
msmgs.exe
F-StopW.exe
svchost.exe
eabservr.exe
svchost.exe
F-Sched.exe
iTunesHelper.exe
SynTPLpr.exe
svchost.exe
svchost.exe
lsass.exe
services.exe
winlogon.exe
csrss.exe
jusched.exe
hkcmd.exe
igfxtray.exe
symwsc.exe
SynTPEnh.exe
qttask.exe
System
System Idle Process

Thanks!
Mike

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what if safe mode doesn't get the bug out?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what if safe mode doesn't get the bug out?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
spybot error Xuron55.installdollars(datei C\windows\win.ini
by Marianna Schmudlach / October 10, 2005 11:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks it worked...I think
by mykietown / October 10, 2005 2:12 PM PDT

I'm not seeing the Xuron 55 message anymore...there are a few other registry keys being displayed now, but I'm not sure if I should fix those or not...I don't want to permanantly ruin other applications. They include:

GT Downloader
Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify
Windows Security Centre.AntiVirusFirewallNotify

Should I just ignore these?

This is such a great resource! Thanks for all the tips!

-Mike

Collapse -
Run Ewido
by Marianna Schmudlach / October 10, 2005 3:07 PM PDT

Please Download and Install Ewido --

1. Download Ewido security suite from http://download.ewido.net/ewido-setup.exe
2. After the download is complete, double click on the file to launch the install process.
3. During installation under the Additonal Options menu, you will be asked if you want to "Install background guard (required for automatic updates)" and "Install scan via context menu". Please UNCHECK both of these options.
4. Once installation is complete, launch Ewido by double-clicking the big "E" icon on your desktop. The program will prompt you to update -- click the 'OK' button.
5. The program will now go to the main screen. On the left hand side of the main screen, click on Update and then click 'Start Update'. The update will start and a progress bar will show the updates being installed. After the updates are installed, you will see 'Update Successful' in the lower left corner.

Once the updates are installed do the following:

Please reboot into Safemode:
Turn on the computer.
Immediately begin tapping the F8 key (or F5 on some computers)
Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode and press the Enter key.

When your computer is booted into Safe Mode, then continue.

6. Click on 'Scanner' (the 3rd bar from the top on the left) and Choose 'Settings'
7. Please make sure 'Scan Every File' is selected. Finally, please click 'OK'
8. On the main screen, please select 'Complete System Scan' and the scan should begin.
9. While the scan is in progress, you will be prompted to clean the first infected file it finds. Choose clean, then put a check next to 'Perform action on all infections' in the left corner of the box so you don't have to sit and watch Ewido the whole time. Click OK.
10. When the scan is complete, click "Save Report". You scan results will be saved in a textfile. Please submit that with your next post.

If during your scan Ewido "crashes" or "hangs", please try scanning again. Before running the scan, click on 'Scanner' (the 3rd bar from the top on the left) and Choose 'Settings'. Uncheck 'Scan in NTFS Alternate Data Streams' as this can cause problems in overly infected systems. Click 'OK' and then follow the instructions from step #8 again.

Exclamation Note: Ewido is a free trial product for 14 days. Since Ewido is a trial version, the realtime guard and automatic update will stop functioning after 14 days (which is the reason we uncheck them during installation). You can use Ewido as an on-demand scanner (recommended) but you will have to manually update the definition file each time you scan.

Did this solve your problem?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.