The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What if Global Warming isn't real...

I just saw a few global warming posts lately that have my panties in a bunch.
So in response:

Dear Global Warming activists,
It's freezing in Ohio, it's colder than it was last year, which was colder than it was the year before. Our summer was mild, and so far this year there was even snow in your precious state of California. So what the cold-hell is this global warming nonsense. Do people get refunds for carbon credits? And if global warming is happening and humans are powerless to stop it, why, doesn't that mean my homegrown organic plants will grow better, my house will need less gas/oil to heat, I don't have to travel to Florida to get sun saving gas/oil, I would be able to ride my bike all year long. Increased plant life will sustain population growth in the northern territories. There would be more vineyards for more wine. Ohio girls will be tanner. The great Lakes will be a tourist destination for Saskatchewan... Come on activists, it's time to face the facts that humans may not have caused the slight temp increase over the last few decades, and perhaps, natural global warming is better than what it feels like we're getting, cold cold cold and colder!
Love,
Northeast Ohio.

That concludes my letter, now, what would you rather have, global warming, or global cooling? Would you rather have more matinees or more polar bears. More trees, or more icecaps? Or do you think I'm completely daft? What's a prettier place, New York, NY, or Venice, Italy? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for energy conservation, I'm just pointing out the obvious, it's cold up here, no one likes being cold. There is less abundance of life in cold places than there is in warm places.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What if Global Warming isn't real...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What if Global Warming isn't real...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Actually

In reply to: What if Global Warming isn't real...

Global warming can indeed cause it to actually be colder in Europe and North America. Distruption to the ocean currents that move warm water from the equitor. I could give you a link, but on iPhone and no copy and paste.

Collapse -
well actually

In reply to: Actually

I have heard of a theory about this. However I heard it as an explanation for the little ice age. Which happened before the industrial revolution, so it kinda proves my point. Send me that link when you get a chance. As satirical as I like to appear, I'm a sucker for some good facts. Anyway the way I heard it was during a warming period the water on top of the ocean is colder, it rotates, under water to create a current. Soon it gets too warm and the ice caps melt and restore the process and it all starts over again. Someone help me out here, I haven't seen it in a while

Collapse -
maybe this

In reply to: well actually

I remember, During a warming period, the polar icecap like the ones over Greenland melt, this causes the water on the surface of the ocean in the north atlantic to get colder where it's usually warmer, thus halting the natural flow of the gulf stream. Therefore the temperature plunges and the ice caps build up again in an mini ice age, and repeat.

Collapse -
ZOMG GLOBAL WARMING ACTIVISTS!

THE WATER IS RISING! THE WATER IS RISING! CAPS LOCK!!!!

Collapse -
growing pains, it's all like growning pains...

just as the geo-socio-economic-political dynamics of the world have been going to extremes or pushing their boundaries in the last decade, so is the climate. It's all growing pains toward some new normal.

Hotter hots, colder colds, wetter wets, dryer drys, etc. What I think that the most underated points of data to monitor may be the overall oxygen from 0-5 miles up above sea level, moisture/humidity distribution and how they've changed, and methane emissions.

--S

Collapse -
Here

In reply to: growing pains, it's all like growning pains...

Collapse -
It's real. I have proof.

Collapse -
Melting polar caps

In reply to: It's real. I have proof.

Collapse -
alternate questions

Hey what if the IPCC (the UN's panel on climate change) was made up mostly of politicians instead of scientists? What if the earth temperature recorders have been compromised? What if changes in carbon dioxide levels never, in all of recorded estimates, ever led to changes in temperatures? Would we still think there is global warming?

Well, the IPCC is mostly made up of politicians, the temperature recorders have been painted and surrounded by unintended items (including incinerators), and CO2 has never led temperature changes (at times lagging behind temperature changes as much as 300 years).

There is so much we don't know about our climate, why should we expect catastrophe over what is known given what we do not know?

Collapse -
Carlin

In reply to: alternate questions

Collapse -
(NT) ahhh yes... - grin...BIG grin ;)

In reply to: Carlin

Collapse -
Yep

In reply to: Carlin

It's not the Earth's problem.
It's our problem!
He says it perfectly.

Collapse -
Carbon dioxide..

In reply to: alternate questions

Is well known to affect temperatures. It's known to be responsible for the high temperatures in Venus, 461C. And keeps Mars up to as 'warm' as -5C in spite of it's thin, but mostly carbon dioxide atmosphere.

Increases in carbon dioxide are known to be causes of mass extinctions in Earth's past, created from natural causes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleocene-Eocene_Thermal_Maximum
"The event saw global temperatures rise by around 6

Collapse -
IT IS REAL

IT IS REAL BUT IT MIGHT BE PART OF HOW OUR PLANET WILL EVOLVE

THEY SAY THE COWS CAUSE MORE GLOBAL WARMING THEN CARS

SO IF THAT TRUE THEN WE CAN ALL DRIVE IN ELECTRIC CARS BUT WERE STILL GOING TO GLOBAL WARMING

Collapse -
Yep

In reply to: IT IS REAL

Collapse -
What if Global Warming isn't real...

It isn't at all it is a hoax made up by Al Gore since he didn't win the presidency at all.

Collapse -
I'm not convinced.

It's hard to separate the politics out of this issue, but what gets me most is that when dealing with geological time, our frame of reference about cooling/warming cycles seem to be quite limited.

I do know that winters were a lot colder/snowier when I was a kid than they are today, although that seems to be changing. But again, that's a very, very short time period in the grand scheme of things.

All of that said, one thing is clear: It just makes sense that we should do our level best to limit the amount of pollutants in our environment.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.