Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

What I Can Remove From Startup

by moranacus / June 21, 2010 3:35 AM PDT

If I provide a list of what programs are running when the computer starts up can someone tell me what I don't really need to have running????
I did this a few years ago but I can't remember what was safe not to load up.
One thing I can see is that there is a icon on the bottom right on
the task bar for the graphics card. I never use to have a icon there.
I'm trying to speed up Windows XP when its booting up.
I recently had a hard drive crash and it had to be replaced.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What I Can Remove From Startup
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What I Can Remove From Startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Please provide the list.
by Kees Bakker / June 21, 2010 5:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
Can't Remember
by moranacus / June 21, 2010 6:59 AM PDT

Can tell me the easiest way to get this list????
I can't remember how I got this before.
THANKS!!!!

Collapse -
go to Start/Run and type msconfig
by Steven Haninger / June 21, 2010 7:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't Remember

Then go to the startup drop down for a listing. Unfortunately, these won't be in plain English so you get to figure out what program they belong to and whether or not you want them to run all the time. Occasionally a startup object is put in Start/Programs/Startup. Again, you need to figure out what it does and whether you want it launched every time you start your PC. Remove what you don't want. There may also be unneeded services but this gets trickier to deal with.

Collapse -
Here's What I Found
by moranacus / June 21, 2010 9:13 AM PDT

Below is what I found:
Adobe Acrobat SpeedLauncher
Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager
Catalyst

Collapse -
None of those appear to be essential
by Steven Haninger / June 21, 2010 9:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's What I Found

All you need to do is uncheck them and restart your PC. You'll be greeted with a box asking if you want that it to show with each restart. Just check small box in the lower left and it will go away. If you notice something missing that want back...maybe catalyst control center...just go back to msconfig and recheck it. Unfortunately Adobe and Java will come back with any update you do and you need to unload them again. I doubt you'll gain much in performance but nothing you listed looks important. You can plug them into google for a better understanding of what they are used for.

Collapse -
Thanks
by moranacus / June 21, 2010 1:18 PM PDT

Thanks for the reply!!!!
I actually have the Your Uninstaller program which makes it easier to select what items you want on start up.
The one for the graphics card is always the last to load up so I think I would see some improvement removing that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?