Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

What/How Much in Resources does ur AntiVirus, Firewall Use?

by FreewareOnly / March 9, 2012 11:55 PM PST
Regarding your Anti Virus & Firewall software...

1) How Much Memory does it use?

2) How Much Activity? (ie. hard disk activity, bothersome messages, etc...)

3) In your opinion, does it slow your system down, not effect the speed, or speed it up?

Your information will be greatly appreciated.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What/How Much in Resources does ur AntiVirus, Firewall Use?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What/How Much in Resources does ur AntiVirus, Firewall Use?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Are you experiencing any problems?
by Carol~ Moderator / March 11, 2012 5:39 AM PDT

FreewareOnly..

Are you experiencing any problems? Or perhaps, you're looking for a free A/V and/or F/W to install? If so, please abide by the request (written in red) just below the submission box. (All system info, etc)

If not, kindly be more specific. It will better help us tailor our responses to your individual needs.

Thanks!
Carol

Collapse -
They are Specific Questions
by FreewareOnly / March 11, 2012 3:09 PM PDT

Dear Carol, I hope you're enjoying a pleasant weekend.

My Questions Are Specific. It seems rather than answering the specific questions, you would like to conduct an investigation as to Why I'm asking them. It seems your curiosity about the motives for my questions, has you answering my Specific Questions... with Questions (?)... and... you didn't answer... Any of My Questions (?). Why didn't you just read the questions and answer them. I'm puzzled.

No where in my post do I mention any problems. No where do I mention needing Tech Support. I'm not looking for product suggestions. I don't need anything tailored... my individual needs are just that I'd like those 3 Specific Questions answered. I thought I was keeping things plain and simple by not getting all wordy. If you read the post... there's no fluff, no mystery, no distraction. They're just Short Simple Specific Questions that I'm asking for reasons of my own. My reasons are irrelevant. Think of it as Research or simply a Poll of some sort and you have to fill in the blanks or darken a circle with a number 2 pencil. Think of it as a post to collect useful, helpful, informative data to be used by anybody for whatever reasons they wish to use it for.

Don't read anything into the post. Your complicating the Simple. Don't think about the "Why". Think about Your Applications. Focus on the Questions and Supplying the Data that the questions desire. Collecting Data... that's what we're doing.

Unless you can point me to an article that has this Specific Information... these are the Specific Questions I'd like to have answered... if it's not a problem. I think the most difficult part for someone is being able to use the Task Manager to retrieve the Memory Useage Data. I think it would be convenient, handy, informative, and helpful for several and whatever reasons, to have such a list of data. It could be compiled right here for everyone to see and share... people from all over the internet would appreciate it.

I have discovered many posts elsewhere where people were inquiring or complaining about how much memory such and such a program was using. One site in it's reviews said "this program is light on resources", and "this program is heavy on resources"... But they didn't define "Resources"... and they didn't define "Light" or "Heavy"... just what and how much are they talking about... and who are they to decide for me what's Light and what's Heavy (?). Just give me the numbers and I'll decide for myself.

Here... I'll make things even easier... I hope...

**********************************************************************************************************************************
Regarding your Anti Virus Software... and Firewall Software (answer each set of 3 Questions for each type of software)...

1) How Much Memory does it use? (RAM. Megabytes or Kilobytes. Use the Task Manager to retrieve Data)
If anybody needs any help with this item, drop me a post or a message and I'll be happy to assist you.

2) How Much ACTIVITY Does It Cause With You and/or Your Computer? (ie. hard disk activity, bothersome messages, etc...)
IN YOUR OPINION:
A) NONE or UN-NOTICEABLE
B) A LITTLE
C) A LOT

3)Regarding How Your Software Affects The Speed of Your System:
IN YOUR OPINION:
A) IT SLOWS MY SYSTEM DOWN
B) IT DOES NOT AFFECT THE SPEED AT ALL
C) IT MAKES MY SYSTEM FASTER
**********************************************************************************************************************************
You can answer like this:

Collapse -
No puzzlement..
by Carol~ Moderator / March 12, 2012 10:06 AM PDT

I'm sorry you felt as if I was "conducting an investigation". I only asked questions because most members post with problems. Some omit pertinent facts and/or information. And most are not as (refreshingly) clear as you were. I'm a creature of habit. Sad

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
This is a HELP FORUM and ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 12, 2012 3:39 PM PDT

is designed to assist in solving problems, not in data collection or debate.

While you may get some answers I fear you will find that not many will respond due to a complete lack of interest in off topic matter. Those who might respond will likely question your motive in making the post so you need to get used to that.

You might have better luck and more response posting this type of thread in the SPEAKEASY FORUM or in COMMUNITY POLLS, or in PC UTILITIES

Collapse -
This IS a Request for HELP. It Is NOT a DEBATE.
by FreewareOnly / March 16, 2012 11:35 AM PDT

It is a Request for HELP and it's Not a DEBATE.

Here's the Request for HELP part, not only for me but for OTHERS... In the following quotation, I'm pointing out that the information compiled would be HELPFUL to EVERYBODY so that when considering different Applications they can have ONE place to go to, ONE source of Information (aka: Data) to HELP them make decisions about what to use. And that's because, when these Applications are reviewed, Here and Everywhere else... the appropriate DATA (aka: Important Information is not supplied).

"I think it would be convenient, handy, informative, and helpful for several and whatever reasons, to have such a list of data. It could be compiled right here for everyone to see and share... people from all over the internet would appreciate it."

As you can see, I'm not only asking for HELP for myself but for Everybody who visits this forum and has similar questions and/or curiosities. In fact, here are some more questions... Why do I have to ask these questions? Why isn't this important DATA/Information collected and revealed to us right here at CNET when products are Reviewed? I believe it would be a brilliant idea, if every piece of software that gets Reviewed here at CNET, ought to have the information that I'm requesting, Included within the Review. Would that be a Bad Idea or a Good Idea? Would that be difficult to evaluate?

I hope that when the software gets reviewed it's actually used, and if so, the testing individual, could easily answer the questions I have posted above. I for one would love to visit this site, pull up a document, a chart, that shows a list of applications, and how much in resources that application is going to use. I paid for the memory in my computer. There's just so much. I want to use it wisely. I NEED HELP in the form of DATA to make decisions... furthermore I wouldn't have to spend a lot of time doing THIS, and then just BEGGING for the Information/DATA so I can make decisions.

debate
1. a discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints: a debate in the Senate on farm price supports.
2. a formal contest in which the affirmative and negative sides of a proposition are advocated by opposing speakers.
3. deliberation; consideration.

There's NO Debate... or Arguments... or Opposing Viewpoints... there's Simply a Request For Data (aka: Important Information) to HELP me make a decision about what software to use on my tiny little netbook computers... that's all... no arguments... just a plea, a request... that's all... simple... only 3 simple questions...

"I have discovered many posts elsewhere where people were inquiring or complaining about how much memory such and such a program was using. One site in it's reviews said "this program is light on resources", and "this program is heavy on resources"... But they didn't define "Resources"... and they didn't define "Light" or "Heavy"... just what and how much are they talking about... and who are they to decide for me what's Light and what's Heavy (?). Just give me the numbers and I'll decide for myself. "

This is the Spyware, viruses, & security forum if I'm not mistaken. My questions are DIRECTLY TARGETED at Spyware, Virus & Secrity Applicaitions. If you were a traffic cop for this entire city of forums, where would you direct me to go when I tell you I need HELP with my Spyware, Virus & Security Applications?

You Advised:

SPEAKEASY FORUM - I'm not here to chat about random, general, miscellaneous off topics.

COMMUNIITY POLLS - I'm not here to get opinions about what application someone believes is The Best. I'm here to collect information so I can make my own decision.

PC UTILITIES - That's a huge broad area which includes but is not limited to Spyware, Virus & Security Applications. But... The Fact Is, in that there IS a SPECIFIC Forum for Spyware Virus, & Security Applications, I chose to post in that Specific, Targeted, forum... because That's What My Questions Are Specifically ALL About.

If I had posted in any of those OTHER forums, I'm sure and certain that I would have been directed back here. Your suggestions are wrong and ill advised.

NEVERMIND!

I asked for assistance (aka: HELP)... I received NONE
I asked questions... i got Questions in return.. and/or NO ANSWERS.

I came here to this Spyware, Virus, And Security Specialty Forum where I thought I would get Awesome Information and Assistance (aka: HELP)... about Spyware, Virus, And Security Applications... so I could make a decision about what to use... and provide a PLACE WHERE OTHERS could retrieve and utilize the same information... I GOT NOTHING! ... and was told my questions about Spyware, Virus, And Security Applications didn't belong here and was told to Go Away! It was my belief that HERE I WOULD FIND THE EXPERTS.... HERE I WOULD GET HELP... Not On My Life!

I Leave Here Disgruntled, Disappointed, Frustrated, Confused... and still lacking the information I came here to gather.

PLEASE FORGET ABOUT ME... just Please FIND A WAY TO COLLECT THE DATA... IT WOULD BE HELPFUL... but I'll advise you to NOT go to the SPEAKEASY FORUM, COMMUNITY POLLS, or PC UTILITIES forums... for I believe the DATA is sittingHERE, right in your own back yard, sitting under your nose... waiting to be collected.

So just Forget About Me... Forget About All This... and FOCUS ON THE DATA... Focus on Collecting It... then Focus on Compiling it, intelligently... then Focus on Making it Available... for ALL to Utilize for whatever reasons they need the information for.

Please...

Your lack of assistance, attentiveness, service, and surely... kindness... has been duly, and sadly noted.

good bye... never fear... i won't ever mouse one click in this, the most unwelcoming, unproductived forum I have ever experienced....

No hard feelings... i believe that's just the yin and yang of things...

Happy St. Patricks Day! May the Luck of The Irish be With You this Weekend.

John B,

Ps. I'll just download a dozen or so applications and test them myself... collect, compile, publish... post it someplace to help others with similar questions.

<div>
</div>

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?