TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

What HDTV manufacturer actually stands behind their TV's?

Greetings to all Frustrated Mitsubishi TV owners. I have a 52725 that just went out with the fast blinking green power light (DM module, circuit board, thermistor, or whatever?). After reading this and other forums, Im thinking I have a piece of junk that is more expensive to repair than its worth. And Mitsubishi seems unwilling to stand behind it at all!

Sooo, the next question that comes to mind is what manufacturer is there for you after the sale? I would prefer to avoid a company that has Mitsubishi's attitude toward problems that I believe to be design flaws. I am aware that new technologies bring assorted problems, but when a manufacturer is unwilling to support the customer after the warentee runs out, the frustration meter pegs fast. And when a $3K tv is junk after 4 years, my next one wont be Mitsubishi. Does Samsung, Sony, LG, Pioneer, Toshiba, et al back their TV's with decent support and recognize/address design flaws or is this the way all the Asian companies think about the US consumer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What HDTV manufacturer actually stands behind their TV's?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What HDTV manufacturer actually stands behind their TV's?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'll probably be shot for this.

In reply to: What HDTV manufacturer actually stands behind their TV's?

Past warranty all makers are now treating the current TVs as disposable. I see no signs this will change.

Collapse -
Hm

Panasonic has been good to me. I had something in it fail they replaced it, it was within warrenty so it was expected but they didn't try to get out of it in any way and took care of everything I didn't pay a dollar. Also they have sent me two updates for it, all I had to do was pop in the SD card and it was done.

Collapse -
what the last two persons said

both bob and johninc

i think for peace of mind, the choice of vendor can be just as important. if you find a model you like at costco, by all means. you can say you want to exchange or return because a fly once landed on it, they would do it for you.

Collapse -
today... costco.

In reply to: what the last two persons said

That's where I'm going. But the makers are all failing when it's OOW (out of warranty.)

Collapse -
What do you expect????

I know that you may be feeling sour about the way Mitsubishi has delt with your complaint, BUT. were you offered an extended warranty where you bought the set? Did you choose to buy mitsu's extended warranty that they offer you? would you have spent another $500 on the set if it came with a 5 year warranty? I bet you thought that those "extended warranties" or "service contracts" are over priced and a gimmick. (thanks to consumer reports) i guess you'll have to ask your self next time if the extra cash is worth the piece of mind? Sorry if I'm coming off like a jerk, but I used to be on the retail side of the biz and know that everyone offers service programs when they sell a set. this is the reason why! Manufactures would be out of biz if they didn't stick to their warranty pds.

today's electronics are far more sensitive to noise, surges, spikes, drops and everything else that our 50+ year old power grid is on. IMO the best thing to do to protect your new, expensive, highly sensitive electronics is to put them on good line conditioners and voltage stabilizers to protect against those gremlins in our power.

Over all I don't think that one manufacture would be very willing to help 2yrs after the warranty pd is over. @ least to get the same tech out of the new set you buy will cost you half as much. protect your investment this time and you'll get at least 5 yrs out of it.

Collapse -
Definelty agree.

In reply to: What do you expect????

I have to definitely agree with this "jerk." Tv prices would have to be higher for a retailer to make money if it wasn't for protection plans and extended warranties. They are a smart buy because many tvs do break within 3 years, and if you buy the protection the retailer will treat you like a king.

I have realized one thing though, customers who receive a defective product are impossible to please. I work at a retail store and a guy bought a 40" tv. Unfortunately, the tv ended up having a problem that showed up 40 days after purchase. Our return/exchange policy is 30 days, but your service team will take care of customers for 1 year even without a protection plan. The customer calls me, a sales associate, and tells me that he wants me to replace his TV for him that day. The service guy was going to take an extra 2 days to get to his house because he had a car accident on the way to his house the first time. I tell the guy that without the protection plan he will simply have to wait for the FREE SERVICE and he threatens to through the TV through my window. I naturally hung up.

To answer the original question, the best company I have experienced is Toshiba. The worst companies are Gateway/emachines, vizio, sylvania, and olevia. The best retailers are Sears and Bestbuy. The worst are Walmart and Meier.

Collapse -
Here's what I do expect

In reply to: What do you expect????

Your point is well taken about the extended warentees. However, The retailer I bought this tv from offered an additional 2(?)years onto the factory warranty (I dont recall the exact offer now other than it was 3 years total). So, I would have been wasting my money as mine actually lasted 4 years and Id still be right where I am now. And I do have it hooked up to a very expensive Cinepro power conditioner. So I did take the proper precautions to protect my investment.

But thats not my gripe with Mitsubishi. I was perfectly happy with this tv until it went out. It was then that I found out about ALL of the other Mitsubishi DLP tv owners having the same problems as well as a host of different ones. Many of these owners are having similar problems with sets newer than mine. And I can even accept that problems exist with new designs/technologies as long as the factory makes an effort to recognize/correct them and try to satisfy the consumer in some way. By satisfy, I dont mean give away the whole repair on older sets like mine, but to make available updated parts at reasonable rates. Recall campaigns are prevailent in the auto industry, why not on expensive electronic appliances too? I fully expected the technology to pass me by in 4 years, but not have to evaluate whether to fix or pitch my expensive, top of the heap at the time, modern marvel of Japenese technology, TV.

Is it the factory's attitude that you should pay 50% of the value of a new set or just throw it away and get a newer model? Thats what ticks me off. And Im sorry if you as a retailer had to deal with irrate customers when their substandard built tvs went out after a few years, but thats the price of doing business. Besides, I dont have any issue at all with the store that sold me the set, they didnt build it! But I was very soured by the experience and the lack of support by the manufacturer. And all it takes is a little bit of research on this and other forums to see the depth of the problems with Mitsubishi DLP sets. So pardon me for being an unhappy customer, but I am! And I'm doing my research to try to avoid the Mitsubishi experiance again, hence my thread.

Collapse -
You have a valid point

In reply to: Here's what I do expect

I did a little reaserch on the mistsu, and it does seem that an awful lot of them have more than just bulbs going out on them. so it seems that you are right in that they have some bad board designs. it is a shame that they don't do the proper recalls. Best of luck

Collapse -
Sharp let down

I bought a Sharp LC-32X20E full HD TV from Italy on the 23/01/08, on the internet. On the 06/07/08, lcd panel went half black and Malta's Sharp agent (I live in Malta) said that lcd panel is faulty and will have to be replaced at my costs since I did not by the TV from them.
The seller from whom I bought the set is claiming that the set has an international warranty, but Malta's Sharp agent then denies this. All attempts to contact Sharp Corp to see were I stand have been in vain because I am just referred back to Malta's Sharp agents. So I most probably will have to just throw away this TV and buy another one, most certainly not SHARP.
So be very carefull before buying and check your warranty rights.

Collapse -
Are TVs now like PC's? Costco/Amex warranty combo? Real?

We've been in the midst of shopping. WOOHOO, what a lot of urban legends and bias' out there. EVERYONE has an opinion . . . lots are way out of date . . . And, here I am posting!

I too have read the Consumer Reports info on warranties and found similar notes on other sites. Hmmm. They're expensive.

BUT, I've been pitched that if you buy at Costco you get the 1 year MFG warranty, an added year from Costco and a year from AMEX if you pay with their card.

Is this REAL, or another urban legend?

Oh, on TVs. We're thinking as tech changes . . . and YES the Samsungs look terrific . . . But, the dern tech will change anyway, so why not just go low-to-mid end?

Once it's home, it IS just a TV . . . When you're home from work, it's not 10 tv's specially tweaked in the showroom. It's just one TV and decent may be just fine . . .

The Samsung 750 I want retails as low at 1800 . . . but I can nail a Vizeo for 999 . . . maybe 1200.

600 could be a good sound system . . . or new track tires for my car . . . Ah, budget!

Collapse -
well

In reply to: Are TVs now like PC's? Costco/Amex warranty combo? Real?

Some AMEX card do extend your warranty call them if your not sure if yours does.

Well Mongo the problem with going low to mid is that they often have old tech in them. The tvs are cheaper because they use cheaper tech and they buy old tech from other companys. So you are usely buying stuff that is a couple years out of date held together by cheaply made parts.

The failure and return rate are high in low/mid range tv's for a reason. You spend a bit more money you get a better looking tv that will likely last you longer.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.