Question

What happens to 720p source content?

Hello. I live in Israel, and the local cable and satellite providers broadcast all their HD channels in 1080i. Sometimes the local channels broadcast HD content from outside Israel, such as the US, and the source may be 720p (for example, ESPN and ABC). I'm likely going to buy a flat screen with 1366x768 resolution, so my question is, does anybody know how bad the 720p-to-1080i-to-1366x768 scaling might be?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: What happens to 720p source content?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What happens to 720p source content?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
HD and Resolution
- Collapse -
Not what I was asking

Thanks for your reply, but I don't think you understood what I was asking.

- Collapse -
Answer
Scaling

The scaling will be fine and you won't notice anything negative. My cable box has a setting to allow native resolutions to pass through and let the TV do the scaling. I have my TV set to 1080p, which is native resolution, so one could ask how bad the scaling is up to 1080p. It's great. By the way, the reason why TVs are 768 is because of PC resolutions, and 768 matches the PC resolution with no issues.

- Collapse -
Thanks, but...

Thank you for your reply.

- Collapse -
Scaling Pt. 2

You won't see any noticeable difference. As far as content from the U.S., the broadcasters have professional equipment that will handle the standards conversion before it gets to your cable box. You will see a difference on that material because it originated as 525 NTSC and converting to PAL will take it's toll.

- Collapse -
Thanks again.

Again, thank you for the reply.

CNET Forums