The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

What happened at Macworld?

by Leo Watson / January 16, 2006 12:57 AM PST

Why the TMV pullout?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What happened at Macworld?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What happened at Macworld?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'd like to know too.
by Jasmes / January 16, 2006 3:18 AM PST

Very mysterious.

I'm guessing Tom was talking with Steve Jobs himself, forgot Steve's name, called him "Sid" and got them all kicked out.

Collapse -
So many things
by acedtect / January 16, 2006 9:01 AM PST

The pullout came for many reasons

Chief of which was Veronica getting sick, and Jason our bakup tech having News.com duties he couldn't get out of.

It also was really hard for people to hear us with the setup they had and the crowd was pretty small. They also moved our time on us at the last minute Wednesday, playing havoc witht he already tough scheduling for Jason.

Still, I sincerely apologise to anybody who came looking for us and didn't find us. Maybe Molly, V, and I should just do an appearance all our own without Macworld or CES to get in the way!

BTW, Veronica's feeling a lot better. Hopefully she'll be back at full strength Tuesday.

Collapse -
Kill the Jan. Expo
by MacHugger / January 16, 2006 3:13 PM PST
In reply to: So many things

To be honest, beyond the cool keynote announcements of the new hardware, what really goes on at Macworld anymore that justifies more than a day of coverage? Since CES takes place at nearly the same time, I'd just as soon see Apple set up a booth there, cancel the January Expo and only have a July Expo but in San Francisco, since the Boston and New York thing seems to have kind of died.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Both were Blah this year
by pkscout / January 17, 2006 7:26 AM PST
In reply to: Kill the Jan. Expo

If interesting announcements from the show floor is the stick with which we will measure, we may as well cancel both CES and MacWorld. I heard Jon Dvorak say he has quit going to CES and just checks all the web sites. That's what I did for both shows and didn't feel like I missed much.

CES is almost worse because about 90% of what is there is prototype or concept stuff. Shoot TiVo has "announced" a non-DirectTV HDTiVo three years running and still hasn't shipped anything. At least at MacWorld stuff tends to have an actual ship date.

Collapse -
CES?.. blah
by Ganguro / January 17, 2006 9:55 PM PST

I went through the trouble of getting contacts to get in CES (it's not open to the public anymore) and compared to the last couple of years I went (I used to work AV Tech and convention setup on a contract basis) It seems really "blah" this year. HDTV this, DVR that, Treo killer Cellphones, car video, blah blah blah.

Nothing really "of note" seemed to come out of it.
Was this just an off year?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!