PC Hardware forum

General discussion

What Great Guys you lot are (Hard drive question)

What Great guys you lot are helping everyone like this I think its great and I much apreciate the help you lot have given me.
Now with that said my new problem is about hard drives and raid. I have a ABIT KD7 RAID motherboard and I was thinking of setting up a RAID. It states in the Manual that it supports UDMA133 only on the RAID channels. On looking at Hard drives on the web they are mostly ATA133 or Serial ATA or SCSi which the latter I am not interested in. Is ATA133 the same as UDMA133 or not. Also could I just set up a single UDMA133 on the raid channel just to get extra storage or does it have to be a raid with two or more drives. Will a UDMA100 drive work on the UDMA 133 channel or not and would a UDMA133 work on a UDMA100 channel, I realize you would not get the same performance but the final questions are just something that I have been wondering about.
Thanks for all your time and trouble. Kindest Regards Tony B.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What Great Guys you lot are (Hard drive question)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What Great Guys you lot are (Hard drive question)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The manual should tell you whether or not

In reply to: What Great Guys you lot are (Hard drive question)

the RAID controller will support ATA drives or ATA and ATAPI drives.

It depends on which chip that they use for the controller some only support RAID, some only RAID or ATAPI [a BIOS change to select] and some [like my old ASUS] support RAID, ATA and ATAPI.

RTM and look in the BIOS.

Collapse -
Question about the word "ONLY"

In reply to: What Great Guys you lot are (Hard drive question)

following UDMA. Could it simply mean that that is the only IDE bus that supports ATA [UDMA] 133 because their other chipset's IDE buses only supports ATA 100 [this is the case with Intel chipsets]. Basically because SATA is the next hard drive interface, so why waste design time to go to ATA 133 when their chipset already has ATA100 support.

Any IDE drive should work on the ATA133 bus IF the bus supports ATA in addition to RAID.

Collapse -
Re: Question about the word "ONLY"

In reply to: Question about the word "ONLY"

Hi There this is what it says in the manual. Chipset (Via kKT400 and VT8235) Supports Ultra DMA33, Ultra DMA 66, Ultra DMA 100 and Ultra DMA 133 protocol.
Supports Advanced Configuration and Power Managment Interface (ACPI). Then further down the page after Memory section there is a section saying. Ultra DMA 133/Raid (For KD7-Raid Only) "which is what my board is" and says Highpoint HPT 372 IDE controler. Supports Ultra DMA 133MB/Sec data transfer rate. I am still confused "not hard to confuse me" LOL is a UDMA 133 drive a ATA133 drive just by another name or are they different animals completely. Regards Tony B.

Collapse -
Re: Question about the word "ONLY"

In reply to: Re: Question about the word "ONLY"

is a UDMA 133 drive a ATA133 drive just by another name. YES

You might also see it as UDMA 6.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.