Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

WHAT GIVES with reviewer Justin Yu???

by iMyst / December 29, 2009 6:47 AM PST

Sorry, but can't find anyone to answer this question.

WHY IS IT that virtually everything I see reviewed by Yu includes the phrase "BORING DESIGN"??? S.O WHAT??? Maybe IT'S *ONLY BORING* TO JUSTIN.

I find it increasingly difficult to take his reviews seriously since he seems as concerned as to how "pretty" something is to him as much as the dependablity and functionality of the products being reviewed.

One would think that if he's bound and determined to attach his catch phrase so often, he could AT LEAST show readers DESIGNS OF HIS OWN so we could have some idea of his "MYSTERY" PERSONAL TASTE...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WHAT GIVES with reviewer Justin Yu???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WHAT GIVES with reviewer Justin Yu???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thank you for the feedback...
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / January 4, 2010 1:42 AM PST

I'll forward this to Justin.

Cheers!
-Lee

Collapse -
WHAT GIVES with reviewer Justin Yu???
by iMyst / January 4, 2010 4:48 PM PST

Thanks Lee.

Maybe it's me, but I hate to see any product gigged on PERSONAL TASTE IN APPEARANCE/DESIGN without knowing what the writer is referring to and/or giving us some basis for comparison. Even then, it's still subjective and seems to be adding a "CON" to reviews just for the sake of doing so.

OR perhaps Jason IS an undiscovered design genius waiting to blow the industry's socks off with new and radical ideas.

P.S. Remind Jason that VISTA was the result of trading "FUNCTIONAL" WORKHORSE XP for "PRETTY..."

Collapse -
Justin Yu doesn't know how to review very well.
by cobraii1976 / February 18, 2010 7:45 AM PST

Justin's review of printers for under $150 is almost non-existent. The 5 printers listed are a good start, but most of the spec's are unavailable. What help is that to someone in the market to buy (none at all). I hope this guy is very low on the ladder of reviewers.

Collapse -
OVER 6 WEEKS. NO JUSTIN YU. GO FIGURE...
by iMyst / February 18, 2010 10:54 AM PST

THANKS FOR (NOT) PLAYING, JUSTIN.

RICE-A-RONI - THE SAN FRANCISCO TREAT - FOR YA BACKSTAGE...

IT'S BEEN OVER SIX WEEKS AND YOU CLEARLY CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO EXPLAIN YOUR BIZARRE FIXATION WITH "FORM OVER FUNCTION" (RE: REPEATED "BORING DESIGN" CHARGES IN YOUR REVIEWS) NOR CAN YOU BE BOTHERED TO SUPPLY READERS WITH ANY OF YOUR OWN MYSTERIOUS DESIGN ALTERNATIVE EXAMPLES AND WHAT YOU CONSIDER "NOT BORING."

SO YOUR SECRET'S OUT:
APPARENTLY YOUR "BORING DESIGN" CHARGES ARE SIMPLY *LAZY, SUBJECTIVE WRITER'S WORD PADDING." YOU'RE SNUBBING AND GIGGING MANUFACTURERS VIA YOUR OWN PERSONAL TASTE (OR LACK THEREOF...) JUST TO HAVE SOMETHING TO FILL SPACE. AND THAT'S REALLY A FREAKIN' COP OUT AND A MASSIVE DISSERVICE TO MANUFACTURERS AND READERS ALIKE!

CAREFUL! NOW YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY HAVE TO CONSIDER US POOR "LITTLE PEOPLE" WHO HAVE TO TRY AND INSTALL *FLAT FACED DVD BURNERS AND/OR FLAT FACED REMOVEABLE DRIVE BAYS AND THE LIKE* INTO *ROUNDED* FACE COMPUTER CASES!

AND *WHY* DO WE HAVE TO DO THIS? WELL, YOU SEE, *SOME* OF US LIKE TO ACTUALLY *UPGRADE AND MODIFY OUR SYSTEM TO MAKE IT ****WORK**** FOR US - COMPARED TO, LET'S SAY, SITTING AROUND ENDLESSLY ADMIRING THE PHYSICAL ATTRACTIVENESS OF THE SYSTEM FOREVER...

YEAH, WE CAN BUY A NEW CASE, BUT WHY SHOULD WE HAVE TO??? IT BUGS THE DEVIL OUT OF ME TO HAVE TO DO SO BECAUSE MANUFACTURERS ARE CATERING TO YOU AND THOSE "HIP IN-THE-KNOW" FOLKS LIKE YOU (WHO APPARENTLY DON'T CARE THEY'RE PUTTING OUT CRAP AS LONG AS IT'S *PRETTY* CRAP.)

GREAT PRIORITIES, BUBBA...

Collapse -
Whoa, what's with all the caps?
by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / February 19, 2010 12:10 AM PST

iMyst, I've forwarded your first post to Justin, whether he decides to respond to the thread is really up to him.

I understand your frustrations, criticism, and dislike for Justin's style for reviews, but personally attacking him doesn't help anyone and is just simply unconstructive.

I'm sure that if this criticism was a bit more on the constructive side, possibly he may actually reply. I personally don't know Justin, so I've done my part to let him know about your posts, and it's up to him to respond or take some of your feedback for consideration.

Please keep the feedback for Justin civil, and if this thread goes any further south, you can consider it locked.

Thanks for your understanding.

-Lee

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.