How To forum

Question

What free app opens swm file?

by masco1976 / June 18, 2011 12:36 AM PDT
I am trying to open up my back-up file on windows 7 but i need a free please app Thank You
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What free app opens swm file?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What free app opens swm file?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 18, 2011 4:32 AM PDT

1. What is a swm file? http://filext.com/file-extension/SWM doesn't seem to apply?
2. What program did you use to make that file?
3. Needing a free app implies the data has no worth. If the data would be worth, say, $100, a $90 app still would be a good investment. Why care about worthless data?

Kees

Collapse -
Holy Cow
by Mrose520 / June 3, 2016 9:13 PM PDT
In reply to: ..

OP: I have a similar situation and I'd like to know how you solved your problem. Windows 7 prompted me to make a back up and I did, with a usb. Now, I have had a system crash and am trying to restore my photos. Please let me know how your situation turned out. Kees seems like a robot without any family photos saved on any of their devices and who also has an endless amount of expendable income and doesn't understand the investment in family photos and their maintenance.

Collapse -
Re: solved?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 4, 2016 1:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Holy Cow

In mu post below (June 19, 2011 4:00 AM PDT ) I gave a link that should have solved the problem. If your problem is the same, it should help also. If your problem is different, it might not help.
Since my Windows 7 has never asked me to do a backup, it's not clear (to me) what backup program you used. But I wonder if it's a full (image) backup. You need a really small system and a really large USB stick for it to fit. So there's a chance (alas) that it doesn't even contain your family photo's.

My own family photo's, apart from my normal PC, are stored on a backup disk on another PC, and on an external disk I keep safely stored at work. Other people use some free cloud service (like Dropbox, Google Drive or Onedrive) to keep a backup. Two GB of free storage at Dropbox is good for 5000 high resolution pictures. You can't call that an investment, can you?

Post was last edited on June 4, 2016 1:23 AM PDT

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Clarification
by masco1976 / June 18, 2011 11:50 AM PDT

I'm sorry I should have explained that I backed up files on DVD and had to completely restore my Acer Windows 7. Now when I try to recover some of my files I cannot open without a swm which says I need and redirects to Windows to find file match...Not much luck there. All I am trying to do is get my photos. Thank you for any help you can suggest.

Collapse -
Re: backup
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 18, 2011 11:37 PM PDT
In reply to: Clarification

That's half of a clarification. The user manual of the program you used to backup those files should tell how to restore them. Your might need to reinstall that program if it's not present after the complete restore.

I asked for the name of that program (my question #2), but you didn't answer that.

Kees

Collapse -
Windows Back-up
by masco1976 / June 19, 2011 2:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: backup

I used the windows 7 backup and when I try to restore the files that is when I get you need a swm file to open

Collapse -
Re: backup and restore
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 19, 2011 4:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows Back-up
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!