Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Samsung forum

General discussion

What exactly is the 580?

by oil_stain / December 1, 2008 3:09 AM PST

The Samsung website isn't exactly confidence inspiring. I bought a LN52A580 from Best Buy a few days ago, and started to look for information about it.

Am I correct that this is a model that was produced exclusively for big chain stores?

What model is it really? If I go to Samsung.com, it's not in the product finder drop down. The 540 seems to have similar specs, but it's not the same. (for example my TV looks like it has two real skinny speakers running down the sides, it also has no nightlight, but the 540 does)

I'd like more info about this model, but not sure where to look.

Anyone have any info, please chime in, and it would be Great to hear from folks from Samsung and BestBuy

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
Looking into it....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 1, 2008 2:58 PM PST

I've sent an inquiry about this model. I should have an answer for you soon.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by oil_stain / December 1, 2008 11:35 PM PST
In reply to: Looking into it....

Thank you, I look forward to it.

Collapse -
by oil_stain / December 3, 2008 9:37 PM PST
In reply to: Looking into it....

Any word on that yet? I've been scouring the net, and think that it's probably related to the 550, but it would be nice to know what the guts really are.

Collapse -
?
by oil_stain / December 9, 2008 9:56 PM PST
In reply to: .

I'm just going to keep bumping this. It seems like even the people at Samsung don't know what this is.

Collapse -
I apologize....
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 11, 2008 4:48 PM PST
In reply to: ?

I knew about the model number, but I wasn't sure exactly what the differences were. The information isn't readily available because it is a retailer-specific model.

It is very similar to the LNxxA550 Series with an expanded contrast ratio of an additional 5000:1, making it 35,000:1 contrast.

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Sometimes my answers do take longer, and that is because I stand behind my answers with the ability to point to a source, a verifiable source, so that I'm above the board at every possible chance.

Thanks for your patience.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks
by oil_stain / December 15, 2008 9:33 PM PST
In reply to: I apologize....

Thank you, that's pretty much what I gathered by looking online. At least it's official.

Collapse -
Took time...
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 16, 2008 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Again, I wanted to apologize for taking so long on getting that answer.

I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing anything, and my inquiries involved several "but...." responses to clarify. My goal is to honor you with an accurate answer than to just "think it is..." and move on.

--HDTech

Collapse -
by oil_stain / December 16, 2008 11:01 PM PST
In reply to: Took time...

Hey no worries. I appreciate your response. There are folks on other forums who were wondering this as well, so I've told them what you've said.

It would be nice if Samsung could update the website to add the 580 to the drop down, even if it had a disclaimer.

Collapse -
I agree..
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / December 17, 2008 5:38 AM PST
In reply to: .

I feel similar to you on that.

I do know that the Support section of the website does have firmware updates, manuals and How-To sections, but that's a decision made by people above my decision-making. Happy

--HDTech

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!