TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

What equipment do I need??

by AKA-unk / September 17, 2009 8:40 AM PDT

I'm a novice when it comes to audio equipment...my new home has built-in speakers in 8 different rooms/zones, with the wires all originating in a cabinet. Each room has its own volume control dial.

I would like to buy a receiver to access Sirius, AM/FM, TV, iPod, DVD. What do you recommend for high quality audio output at a mid-range price point?

How do I manage 8 sets of speaker wires?

Thanks!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What equipment do I need??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What equipment do I need??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So you want to run all...
by givemeaname / September 17, 2009 10:35 AM PDT

7 zones or 8 wires IE 7.1 surround sound system??? Or are is these 1 speaker in each room something like a intercom. How many speaker wires are we talking? Just need more detailed info on the wiring too find the right thing for you.

Also what are the model numbers for the speakers or if you have the continous watts and peak watts of them on hand would be great.

And your Budget!!!

Collapse -
Home Audio
by AKA-unk / September 20, 2009 7:25 AM PDT

Info: There are 8 sets of speaker wire in the central cabinet (16 individual wires).

Master BR has 2 speakers & volume control. Master Bath has 1 speaker & volume control*. Study has 2 speakers, no volume control. Kitchen has 2 speakers & volume control. Living room has 2 speakers, no volume control. Patio has 2 speakers & volume control. Garage has 1 speaker, no volume control*.

Thus: 6 sets of speakers - 4 rooms with volume control.

Indoor speakers: NXG Model NX-PRO103C - 150 watts max - sensitivity 90dB@ 1watt/1 meter - frequency response 28Hz-22,000 Hz - Impedance 8 ohms nominal, 4 ohms minimum.
Patio speakers: Monster Cable Model IS-20WM 5 1/4" 2 way Flush Mount. I don't have anymore info on these speakers.

As far as budget -- I have no idea what is needed, so can't put a number on it. Prefer mid-range components (best quality output at reasonable mid-price point). I don't have to have the "cutting-edge" technology...just really good sound that I can crank-up to get the most volume my speakers can handle.

The priority is music, via satellite hook-up. Gotta have the music! The TV/video can come later.

(* this is a set)

Thanks for your help!!!

Collapse -
Multi zone amp
by givemeaname / September 20, 2009 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Home Audio

They really put a speaker in the garage?!?

1 of these to cover the main 4 zone 2 speaker sets then get 1 cheapi amp that will cover the garage and master bath.

http://www.russound.com/pdf/brochures/CAM6.6_Brochure.pdf

OR

You can get 2 of these:

http://us.marantz.com/Products/611.asp

The wall controllers may have to be changed for compatibility.

Where will the signal (audio) be coming from, cd player, iPod, something else?? Can it internally decode the audio if not your going to need a receiver too.

Collapse -
Edit too ^^^
by givemeaname / September 20, 2009 9:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Multi zone amp

The Cam6.6 you can just get 1 Amp, it can run 6 zones, I missed the 1 speaker out next to the variable/fixed output, why they not just line them all up is a question.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.