Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

what equipment do i need

by hyphymikey / April 2, 2007 7:38 AM PDT

I need to know what equipment i would need. Im looking to have a remote server hooked up to television equipment. On this server I would have a website running, and this website is built for users to create slides for a slideshow. The slides are saved to the server, so when i approve the slides they will be displayed on a slideshow broadcast over the televisions. The thing is how can i remotely access the server to approve slides while the computer is playing the slideshow without interruption?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: what equipment do i need
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: what equipment do i need
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Could be simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2007 8:10 AM PDT

I'm thinking a small custom application running on a Linux box with some video card that has a video output. The cost would be no greater than your average PC but the code is the nut to crack. I write code in various languages so it doesn't seem too challenging. What code and language do you use?

Bob

Collapse -
No Clue
by hyphymikey / April 2, 2007 2:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Could be simple.

Thanks for the respone. But im not sure yet what code and language im going to run. I guess it all depends on what will work and what the easiest would be. Im new to all this stuff and just trying to get this thing rolling, trying to get some input on what I should do. I have not bought anything yet, only because I dont know where to start. Everything is still in the air if you know what I mean.

Collapse -
Then you don't code?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2007 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: No Clue

Then you'll have to find a consultant that does all the work to pull together the application and system. Your part will be to write a good spec, advertise and set the budget, etc.

Bob

Collapse -
Equipment
by colbox98 / April 3, 2007 2:24 AM PDT

I think what equipment you will need will depend on what other details you can provide. Is this system going to be all in house? By that I mean, it will all be on one local LAN? If you need to have access over the internet and what not, it would be more involved. What kind of television broadcast system are you working with? What software and/or programming language are you going to be using to host these services? Were you thinking of using Flash or something? I guess I am not exactly sure what you mean by "slides," and how you in vision this project to work. Can you explain with more detail exactly what you are trying to accomplish?

I think your software and programming environment are a lot more troublesome then the equipment you will need. The equipment needs could probably be pretty minimal, depending on what infrastructure you have in place already. You could probably get by with any higher end PC setup with the proper network access and a high end video card, or perhaps dual video cards. I am working under the assumption you already have the networking and TV systems in place and they are fairly close in proximity to interface.

Collapse -
actually.
by hyphymikey / April 3, 2007 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Equipment

Think of it this way. I will have a server, at the local cable company, that of course is hooked up to the internet, and to the broadcast equipment, thru rca cables. the website where you design a powerpoint slide will be pointed at this server, and all slides will be saved on this server. I will be at home, on my personal computer, somehow use remote desktop i guess (unless there is an easier method) and will review the slides, and put them from the "need to be reviewed folder" to the folder where a continuous slideshow is running and being put thru to the broadcast equipment. Im trying to see if its even possible for me to access all the files on the server/computer, and move and change the ones i want, and even put files in the folder that the slideshow is pulling from, without interrupting the slideshow. The slide show and web interface used to design the slides will be like a basic powerpoint program. The internet part will be more like a text box, where you can change font, color, size, and then when you submit, it is saved as a powerpoint file.

I know i can get the website made to work, its almost like an email site with a text box. Im just trying to figure out how to get the slides to be saved as a powerpoint file when submitted, and how to access these slides without interrupting the slideshow.

Is this possible or am I thinking in a dream world?

Collapse -
All possible and done many times.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2007 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: actually.

I setup something like that years ago. But I wrote the code to do that. It's trivial code but not to anyone that doesn't write in any language. For them it's off to make a "spec" get quotes and manage the project.

Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by hyphymikey / April 3, 2007 6:43 AM PDT

Thanks alot guys. I just didnt want to get to far in this not knowing if it was even possible.

How much you think something like this would cost? For someone to built the website, and all the programs, the total package?

Again, thank you.

Collapse -
A bazillion dollars.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2007 6:48 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Sorry, the spec is not developed enough to hazard a guess yet. I know my page flipper was something grown over a few years. It never was finished or polished with some user frontend, we just tossed jpeg images in the pot and a text file held the names for the display program to rotate through.

Your mention of PowerPoint will kick the developer to add about 5 or more K-bucks into the bid since it will require the Microsoft Office Developer's Kit, a license to PowerPoint for the server and Visual Studio 2005. We went with images to cut costs.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!