Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

What else needed?

by Marie Boyer / April 4, 2005 11:30 PM PDT

I have two new computers. I have read multiple threads on this board, all of which have been unbelievably helpful. The threads are so thick, I decided my simple question might get lost, so here it is as a separate post.

On both computers, I have installed Norton Systemworks for anti-viral; the free on-line Adaware and SpybotS&D; and the Microsoft anti-spyware beta. I intend to install the Firefox browser and use that also.
1. Do you still recommend Zone Alarm (I can only assume my Norton has a firewall; in fact, I seem to recall that it told me that during installation, and asked me to uninstall the Microsoft firewall to avoid conflicts.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What else needed?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What else needed?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hi Marie
by roddy32 / April 4, 2005 11:46 PM PDT
In reply to: What else needed?

IF your Norton has a firewall, I would use that. IF it doesn't then Zone Alarm is a good alternative. You'll have to check the options to see. I use NAV but I have never used Norton Systemworks so I do not know if that includes a firewall or not. I don't remember what you have for an operating system but IF you have XPSP2, the Windows firewall is OK, it's what I use but it only blocks incoming and not outgoing. You said that when you installed Norton it uninstalled the Microsoft firewall. It would not have uninstalled it but it might have disabled it which is OK as long as the Norton one is enabled. You only want to use one firewall at a time. I would also add SpywareBlaster by javacool which is a blocker but not a scanner for spyware and is compatible with Spybot and Ad-Aware. You can get it here. All you have to do is download it and make sure to enable it and check for updates occasionally. It will just work in the background.
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Collapse -
Thanks again Roddy32
by Marie Boyer / April 5, 2005 12:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Marie

I was hoping that you would be monitoring this board! Thanks so much. You are right, Norton had an automatic disable feature for the Windows firewall. I selected it, as it was "recommended" with the install. So, safe to assume Systemworks has a firewall, but I will go check to make sure.

Forgot to add that we installed a router with a built-in firewall also. (You can see that I have heeded all of the advice on the wonderful board.)

But, even with Adaware, Spybot, and Microsoft's anti-spyware beta, you recommend adding the spyblaster too? (I shall go do it now if you say "yes.")

Collapse -
if you have a router as well that will be THREE.
by dawillie / April 5, 2005 1:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks again Roddy32

I respectfully differ from Roddy.

Spyware Blaster will not do a lot more to enhance your protection.

However, I would reccommend you activate your Windows Firewall as well and then go to the firewall and 'add' Norton to the allowed programs.

While i am not 100% enthused about Windows Firewall, it was created by the authors of your O/S and therefore in terms of compatibility, it passes anything you may add from the 'outside' as it were.

I am also a proponent of the fact that you can run two Firewalls as I do, being Kerio v 2.1.5 and Windows Firewall as well as a router.

All you need to do is configure your Windows Firewall.

However ultimately it will be your choice.

Offered here FWIW.

david williams

Collapse -
Hi Marie
by roddy32 / April 5, 2005 1:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks again Roddy32

This is my main forum. I'm only in the others when time permits. I would still check to make sure that Norton firewall is enabled but the router is also an excellent addition. YES I would also install SpywareBlaster and, as a matter of fact, the next time that you have Spybot S&D open, go to the "Immunize" page and you will see that the authors of Spybot ALSO recommend SpywareBlaster.

Collapse -
Roddy32 or anyone who knows?
by Marie Boyer / April 5, 2005 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi Marie

I just read through my Norton Systemworks User's Guide. It does not mention "firewall" protection as one of the provided services. How do I find out for sure whether there is firewall on this product? Is there quick and easy answer to this?

Collapse -
I just checked the Symantec website
by roddy32 / April 5, 2005 2:00 AM PDT

and Systemworks 2005 does NOT list a firewall so, I would enable the Windows Firewall, especially since you have a router also and I would still install SpywareBlaster. A firewall may keep out SOME spyware but SpywareBlaster is built for just that purpose. This is the Symantec link.
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/sysworks/basic/

Collapse -
Roddy32 rocks!
by Marie Boyer / April 5, 2005 2:15 AM PDT

I honestly cannot thank you enough. Wow. Okay, 2 little questions, then I will stop and let you tend to someone else.

1. How do I "enable" Windows firewall (Windows XP Home on one and XP Pro on the other)? Total newbie, sorry.

2. Why not download ZoneAlarm instead?

p.s. I am not making it up; I think Norton had me disable the Windows firewall as part of installation of its product. That seems nasty.

Collapse -
If the router has a firewall
by roddy32 / April 5, 2005 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Roddy32 rocks!

and you are enabling Windows Firewall, IMO I see no need for Zone Alarm but that is your choice. To enable Windows Firewall on XPSP2 Home Edition go to the
Control Panel" and double click where is says "Windows Firewall". When that comes up, it should come up on the "General" tab. Put a tick where it says "on". Here is a link that will tell you more as to how to use it.
There are links inside of this link that will answer any questions. I would put it in favorites so you can refer to it as needed.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2

Collapse -
Thanks
by Marie Boyer / April 5, 2005 3:42 AM PDT

I checked the web for the router which I have, and it says "creates a NAT firewall" for internet protection. I believe that means I will simply re-enable the Windows firewall as you kindly described for me in last post.

Collapse -
It sounds like you are in good shape
by roddy32 / April 5, 2005 3:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Marie. Happy computing to you and if you have any more questions, somebody is usually here to help. Happy

Collapse -
Norton might have firewall after all?
by Marie Boyer / April 5, 2005 4:11 AM PDT

I did what you advised re: Windows firewall. Windows tells me that "Norton Internet Worm Protection" is activated as a "firewall" on my computer. I then activated Windows Firewall, and Windows is instructing me that I now have two firewalls and should only use one. If Norton's product does not have firewall, then what is this "Worm Protection" that Windows is calling a "firewall"? Do you know, Roddy32?
Might this mean that what Norton calls "Internet Worm Protection" is actually a firewall?
Geez, sorry to keep bothering you.

Collapse -
Norton's worm protection is
by roddy32 / April 5, 2005 4:20 AM PDT

NOT a firewall. See if you can get them both to enable. You need them BOTH IMO. According to the Symantec link I gave you earlier SystemWorks does NOT have a firewall. I have no idea why Windows Firewalls is telling you that it does. You have to put the Norton worm protection and also the live update on the "Exceptions" list on the Windows Firewall which should be explained in one of the links on the Microsoft link that I gave you as to how to do that.

Collapse -
Finally decided
by Marie Boyer / April 6, 2005 2:02 PM PDT

Thanks for your help Roddy32. I did further research (through Windows XP and Symantec web boards), and consulted with the IT company my office uses, and I made a decision. I disabled Norton "Worm Protection" and Windows firewall. I then installed the free on-line Zone Alarm firewall.

My work guy (whom I trust), confirmed what so many on this site have said, i.e., that Zone Alarm is the superior firewall product. He loves Systemworks with the exception of the "Worm Protection," which he says has some weaknesses.

That was a challenge! Thanks for your persistent help and wonderful advice! Hopefully, my computers will be protected now!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Marie, glad we could help. :D
by roddy32 / April 6, 2005 8:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Finally decided
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.