Speakeasy forum

General discussion

What else did he say that he didn't mean?

by Dan McC / February 5, 2006 5:32 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What else did he say that he didn't mean?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What else did he say that he didn't mean?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do you remember
by duckman / February 5, 2006 5:34 AM PST

when President He Whos Name Should Not Be Invoked spoke that he admitted that he raised taxes too much? Next day he said his Momma always tol' him not to talk when tired. Keep trying though.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Given your sparse description, no.
by Dan McC / February 5, 2006 5:37 AM PST
In reply to: Do you remember
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Figures
by duckman / February 5, 2006 5:38 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That wasn't a State of the Union Address
by Diana Forum moderator / February 5, 2006 11:33 AM PST
In reply to: Do you remember
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) So?
by EdH / February 5, 2006 11:35 AM PST
Collapse -
How does this minor
by Dan McC / February 5, 2006 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: Here's a spoon for you

episode from over a decade ago relate to comments in the State of the Union Address last week?

Dan

Collapse -
Where you as concerned than when what's his name
by duckman / February 5, 2006 5:47 AM PST
In reply to: How does this minor

reveresd himself? That's the point

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) they dont care when its a dimocrat
by Mark5019 / February 5, 2006 5:56 AM PST
Collapse -
Was I concerned with remarks
by Dan McC / February 5, 2006 6:14 AM PST

at a fund raiser that were of such little import and so lightly covered that I never heard about them. Not very much, no.

Do the remarks at a fund raiser a decade ago compare in any way to remarks in the State of the Union Address last week? Nope.

Dan

Collapse -
Lightly covered? Not hardly.
by EdH / February 5, 2006 6:15 AM PST

That particular ***** was all over the news.

Collapse -
Notice how none of them.....
by Josh K / February 6, 2006 1:06 AM PST

.....have addressed the specific comments Bush made? This thread is rife with attempts at diversion.

Collapse -
Explain then
by duckman / February 6, 2006 1:15 AM PST

what you think the problem is with what he said, or mis-said or was corrected?

Collapse -
You may be right, Josh, but ....
by xerpor / February 6, 2006 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: Explain then
Collapse -
If another person disagrees with the speech
by Dragon / February 6, 2006 10:37 PM PST
In reply to: Explain then

It doesnt follow that it is factually inaccurate.

Collapse -
The "other people" were members of his cabinet
by Josh K / February 6, 2006 10:48 PM PST

So someone has it wrong. If not Bush, then his cabinet members. But they can't both be right.

Collapse -
That reminds me...
by EdH / February 5, 2006 6:10 AM PST

Didn't you make a claim that the President conflated 9/11 with Iraq in the State of the Union address? Two minutes in I think you said. I can't find it. Can you point it out to me?

Did you mean it literally?

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No answer coming I guess.
by EdH / February 6, 2006 8:33 PM PST
In reply to: That reminds me...
Collapse -
What's important is that he said it.
by Angeline Booher / February 5, 2006 7:21 AM PST

Before television, politicians spoke on topics that were applicable to wherever they were at the time. If it was in farm country, then promises were made to the farmers. If it was in steel country, then for the steelworkers. If it was in big cities, then what would be done about big city problems.

With TV, they have to hit 'em all at once without making the others angry. They have been briefed on what the citizens are saying are their concerns. Hit 'em all as much as possible.

Maybe the statement about our dependence on oil put a burr under the saddle of some in the oil industry, so the Secretary was doing damage control.

IMO, what politicians say they mean at the time and the circumstances surrounding them. I think they want to do what they think is the right thing in their view, though it may or may not be in the eyes of everyone.

Oil is a world wide problem. Many countries are dependent on it, and countries like China have become a huge consumer. Then there are the myriad of products made from it. I heard somebody point out last week that natural, unpredictable occurrences, like Katrina, illustrated how a break in the delivery system impacted on the entire country. There are also earthquakes to consider as to the damage to the system they can do.

In the US during the last shortage, we conserved, bought more fuel efficient cars, etc. When it was over, we went back to the same habits. Japan was ready for the first shortage with smaller, more fuel efficient cars. The VW, that sipped gas, had already become popular. But who put the first hybrids on the market? Not to say they will do a lot to help, but at least it was a step to try.

I must say I agreed with the President's call for research and conservation. First time I'd heard "conservation" mentioned since President Carter.

Whether or not he meant it "literally" is not important. The important point is that he said it.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Hybrids are coming soon
by Dragon / February 5, 2006 9:19 AM PST

I read this announcement a few days ago, though not from Reuters.

I think we will see a lot more advances in nanotechnology. Once upon a time [remember "The Graduate"?] the new big thing was going to be plastic. Nano is going to be HUGE, in my opinion. I cant emphasize that enough.

Im optimistic that we will lick a lot of our problems, and not just energy-related problems, either. The only question is the timing.

Collapse -
Timing
by Angeline Booher / February 5, 2006 9:22 PM PST

As one who still looks up at airplanes, I've seen a lot of amazing developments and discoveries. Thus I have also been an optimist regarding what the future will bring. Perhaps one day cold fusion will be a reality.

Your point that it will take time is well taken. Sometimes I think we have demanded instant gratification , and lost patience when it doesn't happen.

I heard that firemen have concerns about the batteries in hybrid cars, and that work is underway re: a safer battery in case of fire.

Those with vision will anticipate problems that will arise, and have a step up on the solutions with a pro-active rather than a re-active approach. The rub will lie in how high the priorites will be set when it comes to being funded.

I noticed that carbon can be an ingredient in the tubes (is this a new use for coal?), or from ''other ingredients'', though these were not mentioned. I ask because I wonder if these could involve renewable ones.

Interesting story!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Not cold fusion
by Dragon / February 6, 2006 1:56 AM PST
In reply to: Timing

I think that won't even be seen in science fiction, but it sure would be nice.

I noticed that carbon can be an ingredient in the tubes (is this a new use for coal?), or from ''other ingredients'', though these were not mentioned. I ask because I wonder if these could involve renewable ones.

Im sorry, Im not sure which story that is?

Collapse -
Here....
by Angeline Booher / February 6, 2006 3:00 AM PST
In reply to: Not cold fusion

(By ''story'', I was referring to the article on nanotechnology to which you linked.)

Carbon nanotubes are of keen interest in nanotechnology research, especially for making ultrastrong fibers and other structures. Nanotubes made from other materials are used for transport in biochemical applications, but are typically fragile and usually collapse within a few hours. The NIST team developed processes for extending the shelf life of polymer nanotubes--considered essential for commercial applications--and forming sturdy nanotube network structures.

I mentioned coal because of carbon. Now, on re-reading, I see that the ''other gredients'' they apparently tried collapsed too soon.

Sorry for the confusion.:-)

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Oh, I see.
by Dragon / February 6, 2006 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: Here....

What I did was to go to the Eurekalert.org site and use nano as a search term to get mostly articles having to do with nanotechology just to kind of give ya'll an idea of whats going on, not really to focus on any one in particular. I know there is more than that, of course. Not all of whats going will be reflected in bulletins at that site, but it is one of my favourites.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Keep us informed!
by Angeline Booher / February 6, 2006 7:32 AM PST
In reply to: Oh, I see.
Collapse -
Bush said what he meant
by Dragon / February 5, 2006 9:24 AM PST

And meant what he said.

Collapse -
And,
by duckman / February 5, 2006 11:44 AM PST

I yam what I yam

Collapse -
Excuse me?
by Kiddpeat / February 6, 2006 9:54 AM PST

He must have said that sometime in his life with less than total candor.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.