Small business & Startups forum

Question

What drives you in choosing an IT supplier?

Good afternoon,

I am currently researching and writing a thesis to finish my Bachelor at the University of Applied Sciences in Arnhem, Netherlands. I'm in the process of setting up a survey that will focus on how people select an IT trainer
when they are in the market for an IT technical training. Respondents get to choose out of +- 10 attributes/drivers that they deem most important when selecting their IT trainer.

These attributes should not be chosen by me or CEO's/CMO's, because the customer almost always has a different take on what is really important to them and what is not. Goal is to improve total quality of IT providers.

My question: could you please tell me what drives you to choose a certain IT provider? What is really important? What differentiates one IT trainer from another?

Thanks in advance,

Thijs

Mods: If there is a beter place to move this thread to, please do!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: What drives you in choosing an IT supplier?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: What drives you in choosing an IT supplier?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
bump

In reply to: What drives you in choosing an IT supplier?

A billion dollar market and no answers? Hope I still get some..

Collapse -
Where I work, no IT.

In reply to: bump

We're a bunch of programmers so we don't shop for IT.

You may want to put out there what you think IT is today as some businesses move to BYOD and the cloud.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Three things:

In reply to: What drives you in choosing an IT supplier?

If you are talking about retail sources for hardware and software, there are three criteria I use: Price, price, and price.

If you are talking about hardware MANUFACTURERS, performance and durability are paramount.

If you are talking about software developers, suitability to the task, ease of product use, stability, and compatibility are my chief criteria.

If you are talking about personnel, that is more complex than I have the time to relate here. Suffice it to say that experience and reliability trump education, but experience qualifications cannot be overly specific, as a clever lad can have a very short learning curve, and reliability is related to the successful completion of tasks rather than matters like truancy.

Collapse -
Here's a good rule

In reply to: Three things:

When considering hardware (buying or designing) I've always liked this little maxim:

Price, performance, quality... Pick any two.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.