General discussion

What does this mean? Noise on the S90 is almost film-like..

Hi again,
I'm as interested in macro shots as well as general family photos. I have to spend more than what I'd assumed (but less than what was recommended in another thread) and was checking Flickr to see what photos looked like that were taken by various cameras I've graduated to considering.

Below is the link to a photo and comments Re: the Canon S90. I was really considering the S95

Can anyone explain what is meant by "film-like noise", and is it a "good thing", as the photographer says?
----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/abelardo/4687717602/

This photo was taken on June 10, 2010 using a Canon PowerShot S90.

Noise produced on the S90 is almost film-like which is good, at least for me.

Comment/Question to picture taker:
I agree about the texture of the noise, nice! I wonder if the S95 will do the same thing...Anyone knows?

Answer: very similar sir

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: What does this mean? Noise on the S90 is almost film-like..
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: What does this mean? Noise on the S90 is almost film-like..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Film Like Noise

I would guess that the person is talking about the noise seen in the background.
It is easily seen in the yellow-orange areas of the background.
Instead of solid colors, it has a grainy texture.

To think that noise is good, sounds like nostalgia to me.
Must be an older person and remembers the old film days.

The S95 should be the same as the S90.
The only real change that was made in the S95 was the addition of High Definition video and the ability of the camera to automatically select a scene mode (as done in the G11/G12).

- Collapse -
Film like noise

It took me forever to get this - My brain is so digitized, I now equate "film" to motion picture film. Ironically, when I got my first digital, I actually went looking for "film" for it. I'm in such a flap again about picking a comera, within budget (forget it) that will be "adequate" for a few years, I'd forgotten about the sometime graininess of photography film! Thanks for the clue. zippy

- Collapse -
Film-like noise

I call it hyperbole.

CNET Forums

Forum Info